1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yes its me again...CV replacement (truck for sale)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blk94fiveoh, Feb 12, 2004.

1. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

:realmad: Welp.....Its official I hate my new truck. In case any of you have missed any of my previous posts...I'll get you up to date...

I purchased the truck (95 2500 silverado 8 lug) in november, and so far I've put over $700 worth of parts/towing into the damn thing. Now, I realize that the truck is used with quite a few miles on it, but it was maintained well, and I *thought* it would be good for another few years of reliable plowing. Boy was I wrong. Not only is the truck terribly underpowered (whoever designed the gm tbi should be shot), gets terrible gas mileage (270-300 a tank), but it can't even run for a week without breaking down. When its running, its a nice truck, and it plows great...the problem is keeping it running. Don't blame all these problems I'm having on lack of maintenance/driving either, because I maintain all my vehicles very well, and I drive my trucks like a grandpa. I have a 95 f-150 with almost 190K on it that has had only a few minor problems. I'm begining to think that if I would of put a plow on the ford it would of been more reliable plow truck than this GM piece of trash.:realmad:

ok, now for this weeks repair...
    We got a few inches of snow today, so I was out making the rounds, when bam...I hear a loud "clunk clunk" from the front axle area. I take a peek under the truck, and sure enough, the drivers side Inner CV boot is cracked (grease everywhere) and the halfshaft has a tremendous amount of play in it. (on the inside. Near the carrier). I think I totally destroyed the inner cv joint, because the front tire wouldn't even move after the clunk. I could hear something spinning up front, but the tires wouldn't move. It also made a terrible sounding clunk when I limped it home. (even in 2wd)

From what I gather on the internet, It seems like my best bet would be to replace the whole axle shaft with a rebuilt unit from autozone, or checker. It sounds like its a fairly straight forward job, but I wanted to ask on here for some tips/suggestions. Does anyone know how long this procedure will take? Are there any special tools I need besides a 35?mm socket?

Anyone want to buy a 95 silverado?:(

BTW: I'm also taking bets on what my next repair will be, and when it will happen. Place your bets now.

Sorry for my rant...i'm just real fed up with this truck.:(

thanks for your help,
  2. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey Scott,

I have a 95 K-3500 and when it works, it works great and when it doesn't.. well you know the rest. Seriously though, it seems like every person I know that has a plow truck, whether it's newer or 20 yrs old, seems like there's always something that needs fixed. Whether it's the plow or the truck you can always find something to fix. Good luck and hope things turn around for the better.
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sorry, goofed.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

After you remove the 35mm nut on the end of the axle you will need to remove the four bolts that hold the hub assembly to the spindle(they come from the back side and are usually very tight(large breaker bar and a SIX POINT socket)). Most of the time you need a slidehammer set-up and the appropriate flange to attach it to the hub to remove the hub assembly from the spindle. Be carefull of the wheel speed sensor wiring(if equiped). Once the hub assembly is removed, removing the axle will be a breeze.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I don't remove the hub when I did my cvs on my 88 k1500. First I removed the 35 mm nut off of the cv. Next I place my jack under the lower A arm and pull the nut off of the upper ball joint and drop the lower a arm down. Once you have that done it should fall apart with a bit or wrestling around on your part. Oh ya I forgot you have to pull the caliper and tie it too the upper a arm with a large tip tie. I did both of my cv's in a couple of hours from start to finish including cleanup and putting the tools away. The cv's are cheap, not nearly as bad as I thought they would be...Rob