1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yes another V Plow or Straight Blade ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by River Hill, Oct 14, 2002.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I am getting ready to order my plow for my 2003 F350 Crew Cab Diesel. I have read many of the post in the past regarding V blades vs. Straight blades. If you had your choice which would you buy and why? All of my work will be subcontracting, so I am just wondering what is the best way to go. All of the work will be office parking lots and maybe a shopping center or two. I am in MD so we don't get much snow. I am just wondering if a V is worth the extra cost and what the benefits of a V over a straight blade are? At the present time I am leaning towards a Fisher 8'6" EZ V with a Speedcaster 1 hitch mount spreader.
  2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I myself bought the strait blade because of the price
    and there's less things to break

If Western had a poly blade in 8 1/2 or 9' I would have looked at that.

but I bought a 8' poly pro and it's been great
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Brians, good choice. Go with it and don't look back.
  4. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

It all depends on your needs. If you plan on just being a sub(not knocking subs..we all need them) then a straight blade would be the way to go. If down the road in a couple years or so you would like to pick up your own accounts, I would spend the extra money on a V plow. The increased efficiency of the V over a straight blade would make up the difference of the initial cost. I run an 8'2" Boss V on my truck and my 2 other trucks have a 7 1/2' and 8' straights on them. I can do an identical lot in almost half the time with the V plow. If it ever snows and I get to replace plows, the new ones will be V plows also. Also, you might want to think of a bigger spreader, maybe a swing away tailgate mount. All of the hitch mounted spreaders I've seen limit your capacity to 350-400#, with a tailgate unit you can double your capacity. Just my opinion.
  5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I use a 9'2" BOSS V. It is more efficent to use than the straight blade. I love it.
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I will never plow w/o a V again....
    Altho this is snow country
  7. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I never know what the future holds so maybe I should stick with the V. Please keep the feedback coming. What are the pros of a V over a straight blade? The only downside I can think of owning a V is more parts can mean more problems.
  8. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

I know this has been discussed before, adding wings to a straight blade will make it as efficient and in alot of cases even more effecient than a V ,unless you are continuosly breaking open drives with large amounts of snow , which doesn't sound like your case, I would stick to the straight blade.I have used both and would keep the straight blade w/wings.

9. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

If your subbing... are you getting paid per push or by the hour? If by the push, then go for the V. If by the hour, will you get paid more to justify the increased efficiency? Maybe it's worth it.
  10. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I will get paid by the hour. The going rate for subs is around $80-$90 with a V and between $70-$80 with straight balde. I know I will get finished faster with a V, and that could be helpful if I am in a time crunch. The company I will be working for won't have a problem if a round up my time to copensate the quicker finish.

Please tell me a little more about a straight plow with wings? Do you guys think it is better than a V? One thing I think I will like about a V is the ability to scoop and move snow.
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I like your hourly rate for plowing. That must be the way it is when you don't have snow that fall's like rain. Erie is another story. Check out the rate they pay for a 10' plow or a 9'3" scoop ( that's what the Blizzard runs with both wings out or both forward in a scoop ) hold's lots of snow for carry. Straight plowing is a breeze because you can be anywhere from an 8' to a 10' blade at the touch of a button and both sides will pivot forward to help carry snow or control spill off. Web site is at
    blizzardplows.com check them out. You've got a dealer in your area. Good luck on the decision. If you get a few events that need to be cleaned up fast and you can get paid what you do for the straight and V plows you may want to check on the hourly/per lot rate for the 10' plow. Jerre
  12. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

Jerre $90 is the highest I would get in the area. It would not matter if I had a 20' plow. I did look into the blizzard, but I am already pushing my weight limits with the V. The fisher V completly installed weighs in at 910LBS this includes the push blocks. The the Blizzard was around 1100LBS fully installed. If it was lighter I would probably buy the Blizzard. I am installing this plow on a 2003 F350 Diesel Crew Cab 8' bed Most companies don't even recommend a plow, but I added Timbren booster and 6000LB springs. I am the only one driving it and will take my time. If someone else was running this truck I would not even put a plow on it.