1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Warning lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beherit316, Sep 3, 2003.

1. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I was told by a friend that if you put on yellow warning lights, the ones that spin around like a tow trucks, on your vehicle for plowing that you need a permit from DMV.L ive in NJ is this true?And if yes how much does it cost?
    Also I take it that you dont need a permit for the lights as long as you are plowing on private property?
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

dont know about where you live but in ct were suppossed to caution lights any way and they want a permit rat bastards:realmad: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  3. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I just found out from DMV and they are sending me an application permit.I have to fill it out and send copy of regestration and have the chief of police sign it.They said it is no charge for the permit, sounds like a headache for me.
  4. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

You really don't need a permit for yellow lights as far as i know, one of my older bosses here in NJ that did snow plowing and stuff jus put them on his trucks and no one ever said anything, Kinda uncontrolable by the state.
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Actually it's one of those laws that's on the books, but most police departments don't care or know to enforce it. After you turn that form in they will most likely deny it & tell you you need to send in proof of having a NJ State contract doing work on one of the state roads (based on someone posting here about that exact scenario). And I'm pretty sure there is a $6.00 charge per permit. I believe the full details are posted in old threads if you want to do the search (use NJ AND lights & it should bring up those threads). As in any beauracracy, there are folks who know what they are talking about, and you will find some that give out wrong information because they don't really know the correct info. However, maybe the rules have actually changed since last year. And make sure you take the lights off before going through inspection, if you don't have the permit.
  6. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

I got the application for the permits in the mail a few months ago. There is no charge, but they want to see a copy of the contract for state/municipal/county work.. We only do commercial work so I never sent them in....
  7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search for NJ amber lights and there should be at least a few threads that will explains the law about using them in NJ. As far as I can remember of, you can only use it if you are working for the government, municipal, county. Those who do residential and commercial plowing in NJ cannot use the amber lights but no one really care and they use it anyway. Just be sure to take it off the roof when you come in for your vehicle annual inspection. I think it is pretty stupid for NJ to make it a law making it illegal to use amber lights when it actually help prevent accidents and make working condition safer.
  8. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

I live in KS, and I am unaware of any permits needed to have an alternating light (not strobe) I would think for liability purposes it is safest to have a flashing or strobe light installed (or magnetic) on your vehicle. Btw, does any-body know how to replace the little motor that controls those revolving flashers? One of mine has stopped working. :help:
  9. ZMC

ZMC Junior Member

On the application is states, "if amber light is to be used on snow removal or sanding equipment, give name of contractural governmental agency and attach copy."

The vehicle must be registered commerically and you must have the permit in the vehicle at all times.

When you go to the chief of police for approval, he will ask you more times then not will you be snow plowing with the lights.

Keep in mind that on private property the police do not jurisdiction over amber lights, you can not drive on the streets with the lights on without a permit.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What type of light do you have? Many of the motors are held in with little metal straps or have a small plastic flange that they are secured with.
  11. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

WXMN6, that is a good point.. I forgot to mention a friend of mine purchased an old township owned pick up truck. They left the yellow light on the roof, and when he went to inspection they failed him because he didn't have a yellow light permit....

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

we dont need no stinkin permits

13. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I just got my NJ yellow light permit application in the mail and they do state they want the name of contractual government agency and attach a copy of the contract.It makes no sense, like someone posted earlier in this thread it is a safety factor for pedestrian's and can help in aiding prevention of someone getting hurt.
    Well I certainly cant see how if any cop can ticket you for using it on a commercial or residential property.I could see them ticketing you if you were driving on a road or highway.I actually had my light turned on going down the GSP during president day snowstorm we had earlier this year.
    What could a state trooper do about it anyway, its not like he would;ve been able to catch up to me and pull me over.It was in the midst of when the snow was really coming down.I have 4 wheel drive capability and the police don't.Meaning I can drive where they cant.
    I come across alot of traffic heading up Rt 24 during rush hours at times when snow is coming down, the entire highway is a standstill .I say the hell with it and drive on the shoulder then sometimes onto the grass just to avoid all the economy cars.I heard some people beeping their horns at me as I pass them, hey its not my fault you drive an economy car that is as worthless as a one legged horse.Why should we suffer.
    I really hate that you know, every time it snows people are so determined to bring their economy car out on the road and contribute to more traffic, it's bad enough that they are permitted too drive on our highways and congest the whole road up, but c'mon people, your 3rd class citizen economy car is totally useless during a snow storm, keep it off our roads.
    Sometimes I get thoughts of buying a garden tractor and driving it on our roads, this way I won't be so frustrated when I am behind an economy car, I will be able to have the same horsepower and pick up that their 4 cylinder does.

Then there is these kids which I will refer to as dorks, buy these economy cars and put mufflers on them that are load, now all of a sudden they think their car is fast, go figure.Its a god damn economy car dorks, it was made to go to the market and buy groceries.I really honestly believe that the dorks that do this to their 3rd class citizen automobile really believe in their mind that they are cool.back in my high school days we had buick grand national'a. Gto's, Trans Am's. Z28's. Mustangs ect.Those cars were loud because they produced horsepower and were fast.

Well anyway its seems I traveled a bit off topic here.
  14. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Follow this link if you want, I have found a magnet mount strobe light that plugs into an ashtray for under $150.00.I just placed an order for it.Looks very immpressive and sure beats paying $500.00 plus for the other strobe systems I saw.