1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Flashing Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newkidonthebloc, Dec 12, 2003.

1. newkidonthebloc

newkidonthebloc Junior Member

Do you guys happen to know if it's a legal requirement to have a flashing light - beacon light.... when you are pushing snow? If so - which brands can you recommend and types of installation - Magnetic - or through the roof mount types or what?? Thanks for your help -and saving me a ticket possibly.
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

check your local laws
  3. LandscapeEscape77

LandscapeEscape77 COPPA Member

regardless of wether its a law or not, it is really a good idea to have one for saftey purposes, especially if your going to be on or in the road.

Its always best to be seen and a blinking light is an excellent way. You can buy an ember revolving, magnetic mount one for under 20.00 www.ebay.com

or napa, levine automotive, etc...
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

It is much better to be seen than heard. By heard I mean the sound of crunching metal when someone crashes into you. The magnetic base ones like THIS are very affordable and work fine. If you live in a real cold climate get the flashing type rather than the rotating ones. The rotating ones will freeze up and quit rotating in real cold temperatures like we have up here.
  5. Fredeboy

Fredeboy Junior Member

As far as the law is concerned it all depends on your area and local law. In NJ, motor vehicle law requires that you get a letter from the Chief of the town you live in.

DIESELRAM30 Member

I say you definitely use an amber light for safety i reccommend a magnetic dual stobe it is defintely brighter than the revolving lights and mine cost about 240 dollars
  7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

In NY you are required by Sect 375 of the Vehicle and Traffic law to display a revolving or flashing amber light visible for at least 500 feet when engaged in "hazardous operations", defined as construction, tow trucks, and snow removal exuipment. The only exception is that during daylight hours you may display 2 red flags instead of the light. Strange......:eek: