1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yearly maintenace + slow rise

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PLM-1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I typically take my plow 160 miles to be serviced since there aren't any dealers near by. I am going to do this myself this year instead of wasting a bunch of time. What all do I need to perform yearly maintenance and are there any good write ups on what to service/check?

Also, I've been noticing that the more I use the plow during an event the slower it gets. I know it's not my truck's electrical system. First I notice a slow lift and then the wings tend to get slower. Any ideas?
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

***Bump*** :help:
  3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Go to Fisher's wesbite. www.fisherplows.com. You can download the mechanic's guide which explains about everything you'll need to know including troubleshooting problems like the one you are having.
  4. TONY labounty

TONY labounty Junior Member

either getting low on fluid or motor and pump might be failing--pull motor and check brass bushing-check shaft on motor--see if tis rusty
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

How do you know for sure its not your truck?
  6. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I will do this. When I first bought the plow, it was constantly blowing fluid out the vent on the top. My dealer sent me a new cap and that problem stopped. I've been wondering if maybe the new cap (or something else) has a flaw as well. The entire plow creaks as well when raising which, last year, the dealer said was normal.

I have dual batteries which are brand new and had the 160 alternator tested as well. All tested fine, so I ruled anything truck-side out.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  7. go plow

go plow Senior Member

it might be as simple as the nut on the lift ram being to tight, that will make it slow to move also!
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I know this may sound stupid but i had a new alternator in my truck with new dual batteries too but i was still having charging/same issue you're having.....i had a loose wire going to the first battery which made the whole system not work well. Check your connections and your grounds as well as they are of equal importance. To me, it just sounds like the exact same electrical symptoms as i was having with my truck!