1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Year Round Acessories for plow Frames

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TrailK10, Apr 29, 2003.

1. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

I was wondering If anybody knows of any companies out there that make acessories for Plow Frames Like a brush guard. I know I have seen one but dont know where to get it. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have seen a leaf blower mounted on an A frame used to blow leaves off a private road back into the woods, and to clean the leaves out of the shallow cobblestone gutters along the road.

I have seen a generator mounted on an A frame mounted on a plow frame.

I have seen a leaf loader mounted on a frame attached to the plow frame.

I have seen home made brush guards mounted on plow frames.

I have seen home made "steps" that mount on a plow frame for easier underhood access.

I have seen a ball hitch mounted on a plate for moving trailers around a yard on a plow frame.

At one time, I designed a ladder rack (never built it) to go on a plow frame. Would have made moving an occasional extension ladder possible. One in the rear receiver, one up front. Could be moved from truck to truck (all Western plow frames in the fleet).

I should patent and market all these ideas, LOL. payup

One thing I would suggest you NEVER consider is any type of winch mount. :nono: A plow frame is meant to push, not pull.

As far as aftermarket, I have only seen the brush guard that Meyer sells to fit their mount. Never saw one on a truck, just in catalogs.

~Chuck

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

We modified full wrap around brush guards to mount to Western Uni-Mount frames using the plow pins and bars. Take it off in the winter and put it on in the summer.

Chuck, you must have been reading my mind years ago on the ladder rack. 4 point mount on the Western frame with riser and spreader for the front. Used the bed extender idea for the rear. Had a roll bar on the front of the bed. This gave 3 point carry. Ft, middle and rear for 20'+ capacity.

Meyers is the only one I have seen a factory or aftermarket brush guard made for. There is definatly a market out there for something. Then again you could buy a BLIZZARD and get the brush guard with the plow. Just my .02 Jerre

4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Jerre,

I tried to convince Nels of that...

They are building the new light tower out of heavier material to keep the lights from bouncing.... They SHOULD add the lightguards and make it a strong setup (taking out bambi and having no damage is a good thing)

Howrd

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have built the brush guards for Fisher and Meyer setups. If done right they look very good IMO and are actuallu better mounted then the two bolts that usually hold them on.

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Howard, Bambi, occasional cows and the errant car, truck and tree have tested the old style here with great sucess. Can't wait to get the new one's. The center cross bar works great for fog and driving lights and the new side bars should make it very solid.

Haven't seen the locking mechanism yet but descriptions make it out to bee very nice.

I had a guy work on the light guard idea for his truck but he scrapped it

Hey how's that short in the lights??

Jerre

7. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I think it would look good if conventional mount fisher owners did the following. Removed the head gear. Then took the plow lights and mounted them on the base plates which are bolted to the truck. This way they would be at about Bumper height and double as great fog/off road lights for the offseaon.

Jay

9. long0

long0 Senior Member

Currently I am working on a motorcycle mount for a meyers frame. So far the only problem I am having is getting the bike low enough to clear the headlights. I'll get some pics when it is completed.

Andy

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Jay. I did that one year. Snapped the lights off sometime in the summer. After that I took the lights off with the headgear every year. We would just run 3x3 angle across the frames. This made a good step to access the engine. My 4runner gets the brushguard.

Strong,
    I have built a few of those leaf vac setups and to me that one looks a bit low. You must bottom out once in awhile. I try to get it up while still keeping it level.

11. long0

long0 Senior Member

Orginally, I posted saying I was building a frame for a dirtbike, but after further thought, and plans to take a vacation, I changed designs and built a frame for a toolbox. I also built a rack off my reciever for the bike. Anyway, I am off to Alaska for aprox. 3 weeks. More pics when I get back.

Talk to ya all later.

Andy

mvc-007f.jpg

12. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Thats a pretty good idea.It looks like you did a good job.:drinkup:

13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

hey longo. great setup:)

14. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I've seen at the races some push trucks for the sprint cars that have their push assemblys mounted to where their plows would be in the winter.

Dan

15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

StrongMD
    Is that a minute mount? If so how did you modify it like that, or did you buy a new headgear unit?
    Eric

16. MOE

MOE PlowSite.com Veteran

The marina where I keep my boat uses a trailer hitch mounted to the plow frame to move boats around the yard. It looks homemade.

17. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Has anyone seen any home made or available through a retailer additions for the MDII mount?

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Since the truck side mount is no different then the first minute mount you would not have unigue items. I fo not know of any commercially produced items except the Fisher produced skidplates. Most items you may see are likely custom work.