1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Year old Wideout with stress cracks ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Showmestaterida, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Bought my first wideout brand new last year on my new truck. Had a very light snow year last year and also this year . Maybe plowed a total of 5/6 times with it . After cleaning the plow after this last storm I noticed these what looks like stress cracks in the paint and must be stress in the steel. They are behind the wings on the top of the enclosed part of the rear of the wing. On both sides and almost identical. I ve seen others with major stress in the steel at the same spot but alot worse . They were a couple years older . I am the only one driving this truck . Never hit anything with the wings. Any body else seeing this on theres . Not to thrilled to be seeing this after 1 1/2 years of light snow .And paying top dollar for this plow.

Western stress cracks 1.jpg

2. Showmestaterida

more pictures

western stress cracks 2.jpg

western stress cracks 3.jpg

3. Showmestaterida

more pictures .

western stress cracks 4.jpg

western stress cracks 5.jpg

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I killed one in 25 billed hours :)

It's normal wear and tear.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I've never seen one that didn't look like that after some use. The wing assemblies rock inside the slide box... they make contact inside and flex the steel which cracks the powder coating.

6. 1olddogtwo

I would be more worried about the face of the plow it self, look at the slide boxes for cracks in the 90° corners

7. Showmestaterida

more pictures

western stress cracks 5.jpg

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Blizzard come from the factory that way. Its only paint.

9. Showmestaterida

Paint is not just doing this. Its the stress from the steel causing the paint to do this . Just want to know , like others have said its normal wear or what?

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Are they stress cracks or poor powder coating issue ?

The reason I ask is that the issues are showing up right next to a vertical, which to me would be a very stout area on the plow. Doesn't make sense that the issue would be stress related in part of the plow with the least amount of flex.

Powder coating is on as good as the facility that's applying it. These plows are built fast, and other manufacturers I've seen have had their PC fall off, or crack like that very quickly. It's caused by lack of prep or flash rusting on the assembly line just prior to the powder coating process.

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said... they all do it. Look at page 4 here:

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/43188.03_100114.pdf

You get an idea what the backside of the wing assembly looks like inside the slide box. When you push forward hard enough, the wing assemblies can rock inside the slide box and make contact, which can flex or dimple the steel, thus cracking the powder coating. Over time, they make contact at several different points, depending on the expanded position of the wings, and they develop a "line" of cracking in the powder coating. It's just wear and tear. Yours actually is pretty minor. Lol.

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

What did ya kill that fast? Did they warranty it?

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

He killed his WO. Long story.

14. 1olddogtwo

As Jeff said, its along story that happened years ago. They did make me custom stainless steel MVP. Trying not to derail this thread.

15. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

We have seen cracks like this at our shop. The interesting thing is that is seems to follow the operators.... We have customers that have multiple Wide-outs who have no complaints about this sort of problem and then others who have multiple units and all of theirs come back with cracks after only a few snows. I had a Wide-out myself for 4 years, I broke a cold weld on the A-frame in the first weeks of use, which was replaced under warranty, but never noticed any stress cracks like yours. I know that I was gentle with mine because it was a big investment for me. Being a divorced, single parent with three daughters it was a much bigger deal for me than the guys who run landscape companies and buy several new plows every year. So I guess what I am saying is that I treated my plow like my x-wife. I only beat her when she needed it!!! LOL.

Looking at your photos I wonder if you are plowing a lot of gravel, perhaps with rocks in it? The paint cracks look like the backside of impact dents. Is it possible that something hit the other side or are these cracks on the outside of an enclosed channel that couldn't be hit on the other side.

In any case, Western give two seasons warranty. When the abusive guys, I talked about above, came to us with their complaint we submitted to Western and in most cases they authorized a new moldboard. If they have cheeped out on the metal and they get a bunch of problems like yours the cost of warranty will soon give them the hint that they need to use thicker / better quality metal.

FYI.... I never really beat my wife, I was just joking......

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Yea my blizzard looks same way.. It was it is

17. triplestrokes

triplestrokes Junior Member

I took a look @ mine today and it looks the same with only 5 hrs on it. I wonder if the dealer would do anything about @ this?

18. triplestrokes

triplestrokes Junior Member

I took a look @ mine today and it looks the same with only 5 hrs on it. I wonder if the dealer would do anything about @ this? Anyway i give it a good soaking of fluid film in the slide boxes.

19. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would take it to your dealer and show them. If enough people complain they will react. If only s few people speak up it will be assumed abuse....

20. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Hey Mishnick,
    I was looking at that diagram of the link you provided. How thick is the metal of the transfer channel in the moldboard? Is it the same gauge as the moldboard elsewhere? Looks like if you hit something with enough force, you could easily tweak that channel.

I've always wanted a wideout, hence the interest in this thread.