1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yard Machines single stage blowers any good?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IMAGE, Nov 28, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Menards has the 3.5hp single stage for $273 and the 4.5hp for $399.

I am tempted to go get the small one, but want to know what you guys think of the Yard Machines single stage blowers.

Do they start good?
    Do they blow it far?
    Would the 4.5hp YM be better then the 3.25 toro?

I ask because the cheapest Toro is only 3.25hp and $400

Thanks, Steve

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Most everyone I have talked to or heard from that have used these machines (MTD, or what used to be MTD) have really had no quams with their snow equipment. I am sure you'll get your use out of it, and replacement parts (paddles and such) are readily available.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks for the reply Runner

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

We bought one last year to have as backup, thankfully a friends dad bought it back from me. Spend a little more for the Toro, that thing was horrible !

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

was that the 3.5 or the 4.5 hp one? or was it not a issue of power?

Will the 3.25 hp Toro Powerlite be a good blower for up to 6" of snow?

6. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Yard Machines are low quality! You get what you pay for !

7. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

not worth it even for a homeowner i spend the extra for a , toro,snapper,areins along thats lines

8. topdj

topdj Senior Member

or Honda too

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Ok thanks guys. After listening to you guys and searching the forum I am gonna go toro. I realized I that one of my main things I told myself is to never skimp on tools and equipment, I had almost forgot that. I just called HD and they have a ccr 2450 for $499. I am on my way out the door...

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Good choice. My neighbor has a single stage MTD. He likes it. But the housing on it ed and broke. It didn't seem to bother him too much, but for a pro, I don't think it would last.

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yeah it looks like its gonna be pretty nice. They tried to sell me an extended warrenty at the counter for $50 and I was like "Why? They garuntee it will start in 2 pulls for 5 yrs."

It sure was easy to set up too. I carried the box up to my 3rd floor apt and when I opened it I saw it only takes about 30 seconds to set up. Oh well, now I know I can carry it up to the 3rd floor anytime I want easy enough.wesport

12. Brant'sLawnCare

That sounds like you made a good choice. What did you get? I've always wanted to get a Toro, but I keep stumbling across great deals on Ariens blowers.

13. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

You "stumble" on great deals because they are not that great.

Once you get a 3650 or the newer equivalent model, you generally don't look back.

Today, some of the sidewalk had less than 1/4 " and the toro still picks it up and tosses it.
    Try that with an Ariens(I have 2 by the way) and you're out of luck. Ariens are big, cumbersome and hardly work compared to Toros.

:)

14. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

15. Brant'sLawnCare

I don't usually use a blower anyway with that much snow. But even if they aren't the greatest, I paid $300 for each of them. The 5 horse was in mint condition (only used twice) and the 7 horse was in pretty good shape too. Don't worry, I will try and get a toro, I'm sure they are better, but I have to wait until it snows cause that brings inpayup. Can those Toro's go through 10-12 inches of snow? Just wondering, because the Ariens don't have too much troube with that amount of snow.