1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yard guard/gravel guard/sod pipe

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jsc824, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I searched this site high and low for ways to plow my gravel driveway without moving all the crushed stone. I found all the posts here about the 2" pipe and figured I would give it a try. At first I was skeptical so I bought a $4 piece of sch. 40 PVC slit it with the table saw and gave it a try. That worked great for about 20 feet as I suspected and it shattered to pieces. No biggie I proved it worked and was only out four dollars.

Bought an iron pipe 2 " in diameter and some flat stock. Using an angle grinder cut a 5/8 slot for the edge to sit in. I set the blade on top of the pipe marked it with soapstone and began cutting. Supprisingly it fit on the first try. Lined up the flat stock and tacked them in place. Pulled the pipe and welded the stock onto the ends and drilled holes so I can easily take it on and off.

Works great. I even tried it over a grassy area i didnt care much about and not a spec of dirt or grass was moved.

If any of you are plowing gravel and haven't tried this it's worth the effort. Plow shoes are never going on again. Thanks to all on here that shared the idea.

2. Blast Chamber

Blast Chamber Junior Member
    from WI

I concur. I also used the pipe idea from this site while rebuilding my Trackless plow. I extended the plow from it's original 5-feet to it's current 8.5-feet. I bolted a black iron pipe to the bottom edge as all of my parking lots are gravel. It works pretty well and doesn't dig in unless I use too much down pressure. Many thanks to those who blazed this trail for us.

Trackless.jpg

3. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

I plow an 800+ foot sloped gravel driveway and the associated ditch area. After plowing it for 25 years, nothing has improved my plowing as much as the 2" pipe yard guard.

[​IMG][

4. meborder

meborder Senior Member

i'm excited to give mine a try .... got the pipe, just need to slot it and weld on tabs.

so in other words, i got a lot of work to do :)

5. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

It really didn't take to long. If your cutting with a angle grinder make sure you buy good disks. I bought some at ace that were garbage. Only got about 8" on each disk. Changed to dewalt and got about 4-5 ft off those.

6. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

So this looks like a great idea if all you are doing is gravel, but do any of you switch between gravel and hard surface, and if so, what do you use for quick attachment and removal of the pipe?

7. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I do both. I welded tabs on the ends of the pipe that go up and bolt through the outside rib of the plow. 2 bolts and it's off ready to plow pavement.

8. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

Can you share some pictures of your project?

9. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I don't have any right now I could get some later. I basically copied x.systems idea. I welded 2" flat stock on the ends of the pipe going up to the ribs on the back of the plow.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

Going to make one to try....but wondering why 2"? is it a magic # or will 2 1/2 work?....going shopping at the scrap yard and may not find the exact size

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

2.5 inch pipe will work just fine. Most guys just use 2 inch because they buy new pipe. (no rust to deal with) 2 inch pipe would be about the minium size I would suspect.

12. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

This is my setup solid bar stock welded to a flat stock and bolted on. I only do gravel so its works so well i cried . :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

14. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Seems like they wont scrape down to surface and float over snow leaving a thick layer of snow !

15. leolkfrm

you normally would try and leave a layer on stone and soft ground so you don't dig it up...the idea is to do it as easy as poss with little damage....then drop it off for hard surfaces to scrape...with my 8 ft blower i usually end up with about an inch base then shave it with a loader....now i want to do it with a blade to i can hit it quick on the way to my plowing job!

found schedule 80 2" for $120 21' long....have to take the whole piece!....going to order it tom, it will give me extra to fit the blower and loader bucket

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  16. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I have no problem getting it right down to the gravel...................

17. meborder

meborder Senior Member

how well do the work for back-dragging with a plow?

just wondering if they might help keep the plow from floating up when you try to drag away from a building.

oh, and i paid 50 bucks for 8 foot ... so you got a little better deal than i did :)

18. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Just wondering I use no shoes and it scrapes great doesn't dig in and back drags good! I have a Arctic 8' poly and it sits almost at 90 well say 85 degrees so never thought about it. Are they really that easy on easy off? I would think you would need some tools and time!

19. leolkfrm

if you are on hard surface i doubt it....the idea is to get more flotation over a loose surface..this is sched 80 not 40 like the household home depot stuff!

20. leolkfrm

how did you get your gravel surface so hard? i have to be careful even on rolled millings!