1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yall know me.... I need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79Chevy, Aug 3, 2003.

1. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Alright as you may or may not know... I have two 1979 Chevy Longbed trucks.... one I am using for parts and the other I am fixing up....
    The truck I am fixing up is supposed to have dual gas tanks but only has one.... the parts truck has two.... I would like to know how and if there should be any problems with taking the passenger side gas tank off the parts truck and onto mine.... one bad thing though.... the gas tank is full of gas.... I tried to shove an old water hose in there to suck out the gas, but could not get pass the 90 degree corner in order to get into the tank....
    Also I would like to know how I can take the corner vent windows out of the parts truck and into mine... I am not sure on how to disassemble the window out of the door....
    All help is greatlly appreciated....
    Thanks in advance....

Need pictures to help just ask I can get them as soon as possible

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

79chevy:: get a smaller hose for getting the gas out. I used a 3/8 air compressor hose on my 93 jut don't drink too much gas :eek: doing it as for the window I cannot help ya there . BTW be careful with the lines and sending unit on top of the tank

3. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

vent window

If you remove the door panel you will see how the vent window assembly is bolted in and there are some screws holding it in place on the front upper window arch .

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can use the existing fuel lines to get the gas out of the tank.Disconnect the rubber line at the fuel pump inlet,and use a vacuum pump (or suck it out),to get the fuel flowing out the line.

5. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I took a leftside tank from an '81 and put it in my '75, and there are some things to watch out for.
    Your sending unit may have 2, 3, or 4 hose connections - its a lot easier to figure out if both tanks are the same. All the hoses are not the same size.
    The fuel switch selenoid (under the truck) may have either 3 or 6 hose connections. Mine had 3, so it only switched the fuel lines. I think the 6 connector version switches the fuel return lines also.
    Also take the crossover lines from the donor truck, since it will make all the connections easier. The crossover lines are steel, with short hoses connected to each tank.
    The wiring for the fuel switch is not the same for every year and model of truck. For my '75, the repair manual shows two possible wiring diagrams. The switch and wiring I took off the '81 matched one of the wiring diagrams, so it was easy to figure out. My double throw, double pole tank switch has 5 wires. The first set of contacts (only two wires connected) control the power to the selenoid, which only needs power when you switch to the driver's side tank. The other 3 terminals are to switch the gas gauge from tank to tank.
    Check the wiring to the sending unit carefully before you mount the tank. You must have a good ground wire (which you will attach to the frame), and the other wire terminal should make good contact where it pushes on the sending unit. You can measure the resistance between the two wires and watch it change from high (empty) to low (full) as you tilt the tank.

Bruce

6. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Thanks for all the info

Hey all,
    Thanks for all the input.... i completed my task with adding the second tank... with everyones input it went pretty smooth... you guys and this website is a blessing for me and my truck.......
    If you have any questions or comments let me know....
    :D