1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

y not a half ton ??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nailgun, Mar 4, 2015.

1. nailgun

nailgun Junior Member

why does everyone say you have to have a 2500 or more to plow ? I see plenty of half tons, 1500' s, tundras etc doing it ?? And now i think for 2016 ford is advertising they have a 150 that can plow??? what gives ? and whats ford gonna do differently ?
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Can plow with a 1/4 ton if you want. A 3/4 ton is just built heavier to last commercial plowing. Not saying it's a cure all but big parts will usually last longer.

New 1/2 tons are being built liter for EPA reasons among many.
  3. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Can u plow wit a 1/2 tone,
    sure, you even can even plow with a VW.

But why limit yourself.
    Your limiting the plow (s) (front or back) u can use.
    the salt you can carry to snow blowers and shovels.

A good rule of thumb, get more truck than you need.
  5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

My dad has plowed with half tons for the laSt 25 years commercially and residential. Yes you can plow with them bit they will fall apart and break more. Plus you are way more productive if you buy a truck that can handle a 8'6 or 9'2
  6. nailgun

nailgun Junior Member

so whatyall think this ford statement is all about ? just marketing hype ? anyone know what they are gonna do to this truck so that it will support plowing versus all the other 150's that are currently plowing ?
  7. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I will sit back and enjoy this
  8. nailgun

nailgun Junior Member

so your a watcher and not a partaker
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Kind of like you.
    ( a member for 5years with only 10 posts)
  10. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Why send a girl to do a mans job
  11. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

The other issue is that the half tons now are not built as well as they were 10-15 years ago
  12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

1/2 ton can plow and will do the job for some. For me i need at least a 8' blade, 750# cap. Salter and a ton of salt in the bed. Thats why i wouldnt plow with a 1/2 ton
  13. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have one for the smaller snow falls, but it has a real axle in front.
    I use a 2500 for wet heavy snow.
  15. nailgun

nailgun Junior Member

chillax snofarmer was not meant to be a bash just a little joke.....yes you are correct though i aint done squat since joing and thats because i haven't gotten into the biz yet...as i get nearer to retirement and want to buy a plow truck everyone tells me ya gotta get a 2500 or an f250 minimum....you cant even think of doing that with a tundra are you crazy ??
    One thing i have noticed is truck brand only matters to the loyalist who owns that brand. consumer reports and all auto related things dont even want to talk about rating trucks anymore. they dont even want to put mileage ratings on 250's and above.... i expect to only take care of a few driveways of aging relatives, and if it proved lucrative maybe a few local driveways to break even. I guess ya just buy based one which one looks the best to ya and how it feels during the test drive.
    maybe eventually as i start the pre-retirement strategy and start executing you will see more of my posts..
  16. nailgun

nailgun Junior Member

Plus, I have to learn how to plow of course..... lol
  17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did I miss when an s10 became a 1/2 truck?
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Nice , save,
    However you want to justify it ,said the pot to the kettel:waving:

And this subject has been beaten beyond death in the last 5 years that you have been doing research.
    It's a border line troll thread.

Ps you will need to do more that a few drives to pay for the comershail insurance you will need.

Once you step out and start to plow on others property you need added coverage.

Ps who mentioned a brand or loyalty
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  19. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

My 2014 Half Ton Chevy has done an awesome job for me for what I needed it for this year. I don't plow commercially but I've made some pretty good sized piles.
  20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have an 8' HD Fisher on my Tundra and the truck handles the plow fine. Do I plow commercial lots? No. Do I plow a pile of driveways with it? No. AS of right now I'm only plowing two driveways with it but, I know that if I wanted to 20 driveways or so, I could and I wouldn't be worried.