1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Y I HATE winter.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2moresleeps, Feb 5, 2008.

1. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Too many accounts. Too much snow fall this year. I had 2 contractors who were paid for the season and have quit on me. They demanded more money and I used the old "If it didnt snow, could I ask for money back?"...to no avail.

I hate winter. I cant keep up and am out 25+ hours with each 5cm of snow fall not including the next day clean ups. I was looking for words of encouragement but now I dont care. I just wanted to vent and hate winter.

2. A Man

A Man Senior Member

That sucks that you had some guys back out on you. Where are you located? I might know some guys that can help if your in a bind. Were suppose to get some more snow this tomorrow.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

How do you pre-pay a contractor for a season?

4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Vent away........

However, some guys probably wish to have the "too many accounts and too much snow" problem.

5. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Where in Ontario are you? Im sitting here with nothing to do!

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Not too familiar with subbing contracts, so I was a little surprised about reading of this "prepayment" thing.... didn't know people did that. Best of luck out there -- sounds like you have a few guys who can help

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I only have 4 subs but they are all paid the same no matter how much it snows. The last 2 years they've hardly done anything and for this year they finally have to work for there money, they don't complain though. My contracts are seasonal and so are there's. They get their monthly check, just like I do. The law of averages works out in the end.

8. itzkcatz

itzkcatz Member
    from CT

Gesh you complain i cant even get a snowstorm to plow! Wish i could come help you plow lol

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wish I could get pre-paid to plow snow......payup
    We do a per-push snow plowing here.

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You can't be serious. Complaining about too much snow and too many accounts is like Bill Gates complaining that he's got too much money :dizzy:

I would trade places with you ANY DAY and you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If it takes you 25 hours to plow 2", you'd be stressed too. He's totally overbooked and at wits end. These are the problems you encounter when you get big. It's not a nice feeling but he made his own bed, now he has to deal with it.

12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

BE HAPPY IT SNOWS:realmad:

13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

This is the way I was last year, about 30 hours each time it would snow 2". This year I bought a 3rd truck and hired an extra shovel guy, so now we're all out about 6-8 hours / snowfall.

I've got it in the back of my mind though, that if these guys back out on me, I'd really be up the creek since I added another 5 accounts this year.

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I don't know how you guys survive on a per push contract. Do you at least have a minimum of pushes you can charge to cover your costs. All my contracts are seasonal, this way I can hire great drivers with a guaranteed salary for the season.

15. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Yea where abouts are yea.

Cheers

16. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

I Hate Winter ???

You should consider a career change for the winter months. I can't believe someone would come on this website and complain about plowing. Learn, adapt, overcome!! Figure out what is not working and re-group. Try to find guys that love winter and are willing to become part of your "team" and keep your customers happy.

17. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Help here is very hard to find. This is why I will continue to be a solo operation. When people call me to plow before the season, I will consider it based on where it is, and gladly recommend someone else because I am booked. The same company I recommend is the same company I call for help when I need it, like pushing the piles back or doing a drive because there is too much n the drive.

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Man, you sure have the opposite problem from me LOL- I have a good number of accounts but NO SNOW!:cry: If you don't want the snow- SEND IT DOWN HERE- we all NEED SNOW- BADLY!:realmad::cry:

19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i can believe someone is complaining about plowing.

20. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I cant believe what im hearing!!! Some guys are going boke this year and i still have not re cooped from last winter and then this winter is almost the same as last unless it snows a lot over the next two months. It has sucked the past two years for snow here and your complaining that your making a killing, that is something:realmad::angry::mad: