1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV2 problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by larryhd, Feb 4, 2015.

1. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

So I bought a new xv2 to three weeks ago and it's been in the shop more than it's been out plowing. First problem they had to put a new O-rings in it. It was leaking fluid.
    The newest problem is you can't back drag with the plow without the plow going into scoop they put everything new in the pump. Today they're going to try to change the wing cylinders to see if that works. If anybody has any ideas what's going on the help would be great.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Rod end relief valves damaged/contaminated or set incorrectly. Also need to inspect check valves. What o rings where replaced?

3. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Everything was adjusted everything was inspected and tore down. They did find a little bit of metal shavings but clean all that out put it back together still does the same thing. They needed to change the O-ring where the pump hooks to the motor.

4. kimber750

Are you sure that got all the debris out of the pump. We had one with simular issue that kept coming back until we final removed the reliefs and then operated the plow. Ended blowing a piece of o ring out that was stuck somewhere in the pump. Also these pumps are still new enough that some dealers don't have a lot of experience with them. Base and rod end reliefs can be switched but shouldn't be. Base end reliefs will have a drill divot in the face, rod end reliefs won't.

5. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

The newest problem is if the plow setting on the ground and you try to move it left and right well it's in Straight blade the wings will fold up into scoop does anybody else have this problem

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely have a solenoid/cartridge that is jammed with something. Metal shavings is not a good sign.

7. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I learned the hard way that you need to keep an eye on the hydraulic lines from the right wing. If they don't have a twist in the lines they can get caught between the frame and stop on the headgear and they will eventually cut through the lines.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't these use the same hydraulics as the original Xtreme V? They aren't really new anymore.

9. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Got the plow somewhat fixed but I'm being told you can't angle the plow when back dragging without one of the wings going to scoop. Does anybody else have this problem?

10. speedracer7c

speedracer7c Junior Member

Sounds like a control valve issue to me. We had one in the shop that had a similar issue that was jammed with a aluminum machining chip

11. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Fisher themselves are saying that we cannot back drag an angle left or right the plow at same time without a wing going into scoop doesn't make any sense to me but that's what Fisher is saying

12. kimber750

Compared to the age of some other pumps out there the XV pump is just a teenager. Add to that Fisher pumps are generally trouble free dealer techs don't get a lot of practice with them. :salute: Not like Boss which seem to break every other storm. :rolleyes:

Has to do with how some of the movements push the fluid past the relief valves. When you add the extra force on the blade while back dragging the blade will just shoot forward. Download the mechanics guide and look through the hydraulic schematics.

What was the issue?

13. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

when i would back drag the wings would go into scoop

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

They all seem to do that. Both of ours do. Friend of mine has a half dozen or so that do it as well. I just try to figure where I need the blade to eliminate as much trail off as possible. That's the only thing I miss about my straight blade was being able to move it while backdragging. Even with the XV backdragging like it does I'd still never go back to a straight blade

15. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Well we got mine fixed one of the biggest things we found when we put a pressure gauge on it and It was only at 1700 psi Fisher said it supposed to be at 22 to 2300 psi

16. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

My XV goes into scoop if a button is pushed while back blading. Just set it where Ya want it first, then drag. I thought it was odd too because if you are pushing fwd and hit a wing button, the wing dosent slam backwards... Unless you let off and push it again....lol.

17. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Wow,,, i guess this answer my question i
    Will buy a second XLS ???

18. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I am still having problems with my x2 I haven't gone through a storm without something going wrong with that plow
    The newest thing is it just quits working no noises no nothing just don't work.

19. Grump1

Grump1 Member

Ya, folds right up if you try to adjust while back dragging. Not a big deal for me.
    The magnet in the reservoir was covered in shavings when I did pre season fluid change...
    First storm with the XV2, ( brand new, last season) it decided no 'el lifto'... :angry:
    Messed with it for 2 hours and then decided it was useless, resigned to not plowing first storm with new gear and missing out on some $$... but at the last minute the sticking lift cartridge must have spit a chunk o metal, and began working.
    Every time I pushed the lift button that storm, I expected it to fail... but it stayed working.
    When I called the dealer they got it in quickly and replaced the lift cartridge at no cost other than my time.
    My buddies XV2 stopped working the other day. ( 1 month old) When he opened the pump up, the intake tube had gathered ice on the fine mesh screen, then the suction of the pump collapsed the screen into a little ball restricting the flow... handy huh? $7 part puts ya out of business.
    He also had a hydro line elbow fitting snap off the angle ram.
    So we have spare hydro lines, intake screens, fish stick controller, headlight bulbs,couple lift cartridges and a growing list of spare parts on our shelves , or in the glove box! :mechanic:

20. craftmasters

craftmasters Junior Member

Fisher XV

I have an extremeV stainless 9.5 on a 2012 2500hd duramax and every time I bring the plow all the way back and it hits or when I hit the smallest bump the plow shuts off and I have to turn the remote back on. anyone know what that could be or where to start with solving this problem? THANKS