1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xv2 or xls

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Wreckerman86, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Wreckerman86

Wreckerman86 Junior Member
    from WNY

I'm gonna be doing a lot of residential Plowing,read a lot of the forum about them but my one ?is drop snow. I do a wide variety from small to large to skinny to wide, so the xls sounds nice.the problem is I live in western NYC were I'm working with average of feet of snow with snow banks averaging 8 feet. The xls just doesn't seems to have the height to push deep snow or stack. I'm running a beefed up ram 3500and the 8footer I'm running now(that's falling apart hence the upgrade) pushes plenty of snow just liking the xv2 for stacking cutting through deep snow and use of wide or skinny drives just not to sure what the xls can handle, I don't see any running up here not even on commercial lot as the deep deep snow. Any view on the xls on deep snow, 2 feet and above?

2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I don't know about the xls but I have the xv2 and during the last blizzard I had one drive (grandparents) that I didn't get to until after the storm and I was very impressed with how easy it was to push through the 24+"

3. Wreckerman86

Wreckerman86 Junior Member
    from WNY

That's kinda why I was leaning towards the xv2 just looking for opinions on the xls

4. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I have one of both; actually not the XV2 but the XV. V on a 3/4 ton...XLS on a 1 ton; so not a perfect comparison.
    Both are awesome and have there advantages. The V is the one for busting through huge windrows, etc. Both are great for clean up with the scoops, but if given the choice of one, I think I would go with the XLS because of the wings and the ability to expand....much more efficient!

5. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

BTW....either one...get ready when it comes time for cutting edge replacement....$$$

6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

One of each here. Both have pros and cons. Rarely do I use V mode. If all your places are straight pushes get the v. If you have to scoop and angle at same time XLS.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer a vee with wing extensions. I scoop it just slightly and can still angle and scoop at the same time. I'm sure the Xls is a little more productive than the 8.5 vee on my truck but I'd put our 9.5 vee with wings up against it any day just to see which one is faster

8. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

i'd say the xv2 if you are gonna have deep snow banks to constantly be breaking through. I just picked mine up today and before it i was using my xv1 and i honestly tried using it like a straight blade to break through deep snow drifts and it was not working it would push the truck sideways. i put it in full v and backed up 30 ft and rammed into it 3-4 times and i was all the way through about 60' of 4 deep snow. the snow was 2' over the blade when it was dropped lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015