1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV2 or XLS?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bryant26, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Bryant26

Bryant26 Junior Member
    from Lee

I've been plowing for 10 years but am new to Plowsite. I plow with a 8 foot xblade and hate it for plowing a 3 mile road. Its time for a new one but can't decide on a new 9'6" XV2 or an XLS. Any thoughts?

2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax Regular Cab
    2003 GMC 3500 Stainless Dump 9 foot xblade
    2013 New Holland T4.75
    2007 New Holland T1030
    1962 Adams Road Grader
    All Whelen and Maxxima

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

For throwing snow into the next state, the VX2

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

There was a thread just like this last week. Might have some answers you're looking for in that one. XLS shines in a parking lot but if you have accounts with a lot of drifting the the XV is tool you want. That's just my opinion though

4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Well why do you hate the x blade?

XLS will carry more snow

XV2 is more versatile and scrapes better

5. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

What he said! I have one of both. They both have their assets...My only complaint, and barely a complaint at that, is the XLS does not scrap that great!

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have both also I would give the same review. Less salt usage when using the XV but the XLS will be more productive in lots which is all we are contracted for. It all comes down to what you do the most of, but a 9.6 v plow is very productive, back drags and scrapes great and will throw snow better then the XLS. If are doing roads regularly then I would go with that. Get the wings to out on for lots and it carriers more snow then the XLS and will stack higher also I forgot to say. Good luck on your choice.

7. Bryant26

Bryant26 Junior Member
    from Lee

Don't get me wrong, I love the xblade for driveways. Nothing scrapes like it. The problem is that both the 8 and 9 foot blade aren't tall enough to stack the banks on the side and it make more of a mess than you clean up. For that reason I don't know if being able to put a wing forward is better than the taller blade

2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax Regular Cab
    2003 GMC 3500 Stainless Dump 9 foot xblade
    2013 New Holland T4.75
    2007 New Holland T1030
    1962 Adams Road Grader
    All Whelen and Maxxima

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

For 3 miles of road, you want the X V 2 and the rubber snow foils.
    First pass at full steam in V, two more straight full angle with some speed.
    It will be like going from a VW bug to a GT Mustang.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  9. Buswell Forest

from NH

Also, you'll want the 9'6" minimum.....and on that tonner, I would consider the 10'6" for 3 miles of road.

10. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

If the xblade isnt tall enough for you then forget about the xls...

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

Huh. They offered one in the first gen xv.
    No matter, the 9-6 is plenty. Wings are available for the big lots.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My 9-6 MVP3 is/was 11-6 with wings

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I thinking going to drawing board and make a set wings that get my 9.6 to 13' Then I would sale my western wings

Use them in a open lot and slot the bolt holes so poly edges will adjust to height of the cutting edge

I wish the western wings would self adjust I don't run mine all time so my cutting edge wears a little then I put wings on then the poly holds the plow off the ground makes the plow skip