1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xv2 and dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by castle456, Jan 22, 2014.

1. castle456

castle456 Junior Member
    from pa

I have a 2006 dodge 2500 CTD reg cab. I am looking into a xv2 8.5'. On fisher ematch it said only a 7.5 straight blade for my truck.Does anyone know if I can use the xv2 8.5 on my truck?

Thank you

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Yes you can. All of the manufacturer's websites will only let you put a 7'-6" blade on a three quarter ton with a diesel in it. I'm guessing you do have the 5.9, correct? Don't worry about it, I've got a 9'-6" 1,000 V blade on my 3/4 diesel. I added timbrens in the front and I only get about 1" of sag with the plow lifted. The websites factor in a "full cab" when they do the math for the GAWR on the front end, which would add roughly another 800 lbs. if you had five other people in the cab at 160 lbs. a piece, which obviously you are not going to have, correct? Put whatever size plow you want on that truck, possibly add timbrens in the front end and worry not.

3. castle456

castle456 Junior Member
    from pa

Alright, great to hear that lol. Yes I have a 5.9. My front bumper shouldn't interfere with the plow in V mode, correct? This will be my first experience with a V plow, so just trying to find out.

thanks

4. JustJeff

No, your bumper will not interfere with the plow. They factor that in the engineering whey they design the plow. If you've got the black plastic valance underneath your bumper they will have to notch out two sections about three inches wide on either side for the receiver brackets, but that's about it. They did a nice clean job of notching mine, so I'm okay with it.

5. castle456

castle456 Junior Member
    from pa

I have another question. I found a good deal on a 09 Chevy 2500 ext cab gas. The truck does not have a plow package. Can I put a 950lb plow on it(XV2)? On fisher site it says I need a plow prep pack. Do I really need it?

Thanks for the help

6. JustJeff

No. Most people here don't have plow-prepped trucks. The only difference is usually an extra battery and a higher output alternator. You can put both on yourself if you want. Don't go by what most of those manufacturer websites say. You're better off to come here and ask the question and get real-life answers. And with the Chevy, you can turn up the torsion keys a bit and it will carry the weight of the plow just fine.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd put that v blade on the ram personally speaking. In my experience a solid front axle is better for plowing but there are plenty of GM guys on here that'll tell you otherwise. If you're going to plow with a GM, get a set of frame gussets because the front of the truck frames crack.