1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV2 8.5 or 9.5 for F350 SRW

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Stewart329, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Stewart329

Stewart329 Junior Member
    from Vermont

I've decided to buy a new plow for my F350 Crew Diesel with SRW. Going from an 8' Blizzard to a V Plow and leaning toward the XV2 but having a hard time deciding between the 8.5 or 9.5. I do mostly residential driveways, approximately 20. The dealer is suggesting the 8.5 as are a couple friends who have 8.5 V Plows.

For the extra $200 I keep wondering about a 9.5 but not sure if it would just be too big. The XV's are also very heavy with the 8.5 weighing 957 lb and the 9.5 1044 lb.

Looking for advise as the order is going in on Monday.

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I do residential myself. If you do city plowing get the 8.5. If you plow long windy driveways get the 9'6.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Your crew turning radius wont be very tight So the 9.6 will help on a curving drive
    My self I would pick 9.6 V Every inch matters That extra $200 wont take long to pay off
    I own 2 9.6 V plows and My father just bought one Sure all mine are on DRW but Did have a SRW with a 9.2 Boss V

4. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

honestly if your driveways are wider, i'd go with a 9'6" as for the extra weight, I would add an extra hundred pounds of ballast weight in the bed like fisher suggests, and that should help a lot. I'm guessing this plow is going on a superduty truck? I have a brand new blade at the dealer to pick up when i need it and I might actually switch it to a 9'6" thinking about.

5. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I do residentials too and used to plow with a 9' straight blade. I went to a 8'6 xv2 last fall and like it better for the smaller driveways and don't see much difference on the larger ones. You will get lots of different opinions but it all comes down to whatever you think is best suited to your needs. One thing for sure I love the scoop and the V comes in handy and you can sure stack a lot of snow.

6. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

How about the xls? Have you gave thought to that my xls works great for driveways makes backdraging in front of garage doors so much easier. It's a 8 foot blade for those tight drives then will open up to 10 foot for the bigger ones.

7. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I'm Having this debate myself and I can't run an xls because I have to many steep driveways. I may just go 9.6 and if it doesn't work out find someone who wants to trade

8. Stewart329

Stewart329 Junior Member
    from Vermont

I ended up going with the 8.5. Haven't had a chance to really put it to the test yet buy in playing around with clean up I like it. When going to the Fisher web site where you match the plow to your truck they don't recommend the 9.6. Thats why I want the way I did.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Buy a set of wings for that 8.6 V

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

See my signature....

11. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I'm going gas so 9.6 will be ok, Buswell how much ballast did you run in your truck without the polycaster?