1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV, XV2 or XLS?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by peteo1, Jan 8, 2014.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've decided I want a new and bigger plow. Currently I run a 7 1/2 straight blade with pro wings. I do a lot of driveways and some commercial lots as well. I really wanted a vee plow earlier this year but after seeing a few XLS's at work I'm tempted by them. I've got a number of years under my belt with the EZV and the XV but never run an XLS. Guess I'm looking for someone to make my mind up for me! Lol Both have their perks and I really like the almost non rust elements of the stainless but the productivity of the expandable is second to none. I also like having the option of going 8'-10' with the touch of a button. However I keep hearing horror stories of wings sticking and edges falling off and whatnot. Not sure what to choose but need to make a decision sooner than later.

2. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

No reason not to get the XLS.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

XV2.....in SS, end of discussion. MJD can close this thread right now

4. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

The is my first season with an XLS and I love it, I do 98% commercial plowing and wow what a time saver. So far I haven't had any issues with the wings. I do spray fluid film in the slide box just for preventive maintenance. I hope that helps

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I use the xls 95% of the time and it out plows the 8.5 XV any day as I have been running them both for 5 seasons now. I do all commercial and 5 drives for clients that just want me to do everything and for my area in Cleveland the xls is great. The ability to go from 8-10 and the scoop can't be beat as I can take on any of my accounts and know this plow will adapt to each one. The XV scrapes better IMO and the stainless is nice for maintenance. You can put the wings on the XV but for me that is more of pain as I did that with old plows in the past. It is just nice to sit in the truck and press a button and you have wings. Being in Erie PA the XV may be better for you since you get more snow and drifting and have to bust into large berms of residential. I was just at Jerre Service in Erie earlier this week getting some parts and there was a guy at his shop with an xls also getting some work done. It works for him so it should work for you.i think either way you go it is a good choice. I know I will be buying more xls in the future but if I get another VPlow I will get the 9.5. Hope this helps.

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

XV2 can scoop, but the xls can not v for deeeep stuff....a 9.5 is 2hat I have, and it's great.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Well heck, if you're getting an expandable, why not get the widest one you can...Blizzard 86110LP. You have to be CAREFUL plowing with the wing plows.

8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Remember its not the moldboard that rusts its the frame and hardware, so the stainless wont stop much rust, although I sure did love my 8.5 SSXV, but I love my XLS more

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I heard they have in the works an 8611 XLS coming out in 2015?

10. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I run both blizzard 8611lp's and an xv2 8.5'ss. The blizzards are one ton dump trucks and do commercial plowing. They are the best option for lots. I just replaced a Hiniker c-plow with the new xv2. That is on a 2500 pickup. It does residential only. We have a bunch of uphill drives and having the v-plow capability is really nice. I've done plenty of drives with my expandable and it isn't much faster than a straight blade in this application. So if you're primarily doing commercial, do an xls, if you're mostly doing residential, I think a v-plow is a better all around option.

11. MNPLOWCO

MNPLOWCO Senior Member

XLS. Good Choice. I run 7 1/2's and 9 footers and picked up an XLS this year.
    I generally don't like my fishers for back dragging on residential drives without a backdrag angel iron
    BUT I was surprised with the XLS. It is a lot of weight on the ground and backdrags very well for us.
    3 fast pulls on a two stall garage and we're out. (depth depending, of course). It truly lives up to it’s 20% to 30% improvement of time hype. On our commercial accounts, it has the same effect. I do love the scoop for clean up. It is heavy on the truck so Timbrens are a must to keep height up for going over curbs on push backs. It has worked well. I like the added weight….it helps with traction especially with the 500 lbs of ballast to offset on our 2500. I do have an issue at this time with a wing that does not deploy on the first hit or two of the button. I’m bringing it in next week to see what the issue is (warrantee). Good luck on your choice.

12. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Go with the XLS. What sold me is 10ft and you can still angle in scoop mode!

13. peteo1

Finally decided on the stainless vee blade but I'm going to wait till summer or so when the prices aren't ridiculous. Next question is the XV2 able to be run off a three plug four port iso or did fisher change the wiring for them? If not I'll pick up an XV instead.

14. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Both plows use the new 2 plug. The ezv uses the 3 plug setup.

15. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

3 plug 4 port here is what you need to add

Battery harness (multiplex)
    Control Harness (multiplex)
    Multiplex controller
    29047 adapter
    29175 adapter

You can then run a 3 plug straight and new 2 plug any plow.

16. peteo1

The older extreme v uses a three plug set up, at least the ones from 2011 or so back. Our 9'6" is a 3 plug

17. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

We have 4 pre 2011 xv's and they are all 2 plug.

18. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Sweet! Maybe a stainless version will be next.