1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV Question- Stops

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RacingZR, Feb 22, 2011.

1. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Well, got around to adjusting my plow today. Last storm it was chattering quite a bit and I noticed the cutting edge wear was uneven. The inside of each cutting edge was worn about a 1/2" more than the outside. IE- "running on its nose"
    Brought it to a buddy's garage. Sure enough- the a-frame wasn't level. Dropped the pins one notch and the bolts one hole. Got it pretty darn close, 1/4" of pitch across the frame which is much better than before. And looking at the cutting edge, it appears to be sitting correctly now.
    Also removed the stops..........finally! I have full range of motion of the lift ram now, which is good. Also gives me some more clearance and better stacking ability. Checked lines in all positions and placed an additional zip tie on one line but the rest were fine. Made sure that the trip spring didn't hit the motor. That was fine, I was about 2.5" away from the pump housing when all the way up.
    So my question is............it appears I can lift the plow all the way up and have no clearance issues without the damn stops. Is that really the full range of motion when plowing?? I'm pretty sure it is, I couldn't lift it up any higher without moving the truck's suspension. I just wanna make sure I don't smash my motor. If there is anything else to check, please let me know. Thanks!

2. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

you will smash your motoe when you stack if you dont have stops, get the shortest ones, thats what i have and it kits them when i stack, but not when plow is all the way up
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

like brad said you may smash your pump since it is on a chain and if you are stacking high the plow will just keep going until it stops (that being up against your pump I believe).My plow came with both sets of stops and I just put on the smaller ones and it stacks plenty high. I would go out to a pile and test it and see how close it really gets because just raising the plow with the ram is not a good indication of its range.
  4. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

As many XV posts before, the XV comes/should come with 4" tall and 6" tall stops, there are 2" stops that were meant for the old EZ-V plows, and they are what I run on my XV to give me more lift/height... DO NOT RUN WITHOUT STOPS.... just because it will only lift so high with the cylinder and chain, it will go much higher if it slides up a pile etc or bounce over train tracks etc and can and will damage your pump assembly... Spend the $17 bucks each (if I remember correctly) for the 2" ez-v stops and save yourself a bunch compared to a new pump assy...

5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I have the 4" stops that came with the plow and I'll throw them back on later today. Thanks for the advice, I'll get the 2" stops. I asked the dealer and they looked at me like I had 2 heads! That's why, the 2" stops were only for the EZV's. Definitely will order some, thanks for the info.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The two inch stops will probably be a little too short. I had them on mine, and the spring would hit the pump. Just cut about an inch off yours and see how it works.
  7. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

This is what I got with my plow and it could definitely rise higher in my opinion. My plow corners drag something fierce on everything. My question is if I shorten the stops will the ram have enough travel to touch them, or do I shorten the chain to make it touch? This is my first v-blade so bear with me. Oh yah and I love it! I will never plow with a straight blade again!

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Find some level ground and make sure your a-frame is level. From your first pic, I think you will find it isn't. That front bolt stays in place, but the rear bolt has 3 or 4 different height adjustments. There are pins behind that can also be adjusted.
    My a-frame was tilted forward causing the edge to run on its nose. Correcting the a-frame angle also gave me some more clearance but yours looks worse than mine was. That's pretty bad! I had to move my pins to the middle hole and lower the rear bolt one hole.
    I put my stops back in. I'll modify them AFTER vacation!