1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV pump

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Dublin Plow, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

I believe I know the answer to the question but will ask any way....
    I have 2 9-6 stainless XV, one is in its 4th season the other in its 1st. On the older I noticed decreased performance. Pressure test shows it still generates the 2250 psi. Wings slap back and forth just like the new one..my concern is the lift stroke....

It sounds like the pump is straining, in comparison to the new one. Granted it lifts the plow, NBD, but the sound is what's bothersome...for kicks I changed the motor as I had a new spare( just in case) on the shelf. The motor sounds different than the original but it's new...

Any thoughts?

Granted the sound I'm hearing is likely the motor?, not the pump.....

Lift time is slower than the new one...

Serviced, fluid, filter. All good...what else?

Thanks fellas

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

where did you do your psi test???

3. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

At the lift cylinder as directed by the local Fisher supplier. The test kit had all sorts of fittings for insta act and others but none worked for the XV. They had me disconnect the pump side and connect gauge there. I adjust the pressure screw to acheive 2250psi. I believe it was 2.5 out from dead bottom.

4. dieselss

Ok. How are your piviot pins? That might be an issue.
    When you tested did you hook it up in a T or right to the pump with no load?

5. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

Nope dead against gauge....good call. The T would allow it to load the cylinder and lift the plow showing true pressure or working pressure right.....
    pivot pins show no real wear...have a spare set tho...

6. dieselss

Not saying it would change but always seemed odd testing a pump with no load
    Just axing bout the pins,,,they rust and seize

7. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I'm having the same problem with my 8.5XV. It struggles to raise the plow when its in the scoop mode.

8. dieselss

Snow,,,ck your fluid