1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV plow side just clicks when trying to move it.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by POM Ticks, Jan 20, 2014.

1. POM Ticks

POM Ticks Junior Member
    from Maine

I have an 8'6" XV and lately every few minutes the plow won't raise. You would hear the pump moving but now movement. To fix it I can plow it into a plow and it will work again. Last storm it got worse. Now it's all the functions that don't work every few minutes and it just clicks when it won't move. The cluck comes from inside the pump housing. Any ideas before I start throwing parts at it. Dealer told me the motor is bad?? Thoughts?

Peace of Mind Landscape Construction Inc.

2012 Ford F-350 6.2 DRW XV 8'6"
    2006 Ford F-350 6.0 SRW XV 8'6"
    2001 Ford F-450 7.3 DRW 9' MC
    New Holland LS 170
  2. jshocik

jshocik Member

I'd start by hooking up a test light to the 2 leads on the motor & hit the switch to raise or angle. If the test light lights up, that means everything up to the motor is working, & you have a motor issue. I noticed on your signature, you have 2 XV's. Have you tried hooking the known good one up to the truck with the problem? That could rule out some problems with wiring or control issues, as they're known to go.
  3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

you could have a bad solenoid under the black box on the plow, but switching trucks would help minimize the steps needed
  4. POM Ticks

POM Ticks Junior Member
    from Maine

So I swapped trucks with the XV and had the same issues so it was plow side. Did some more looking and poking and decided to replace the solenoid. Figured it was the cheapest part first. I guess fisher now has an upgraded solenoid for the XV and that was the fix. Works as slick as I could test it. Tonight's storm will be the true test. Thanks for your ideas. I appreciate it.
  5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I would not be surprised that it is NOT fixed. I had a similar issue when i installed a used truck side battery cable. I didn't notice but one of the main battery pins had some corrosion and there was a slight melting of the rubber. Wasn't making a good connection to the plow side and I'd need to "twist" it to get it to work. Works fine on my new XV2, but on some used plows it intermittently will act up probably as they are a bit more worn and I need to drop in a new one...