1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV...one wing slowly leaks back

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by andcon83, Dec 25, 2013.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

First of all, Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

While plowing the other day, I snubbed up on something. It was enough the wing pushed all the way from extended out to fully retracted. I know there is a pressure release so they do this. But when I extended it back out, and kept plowing, it will move in every push, even a light one. And also going down the road it will slowly creep it's way back. Did I just blow something in the internal packing in the cylinder or did I mess up something inside the pump?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Base end relief valves are damaged or contaminated.

3. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Is there anyway to test to make sure? The one thing that makes me think it is the packing is when I first bought the plow, I had one cylinder that did the same thing. the replace the whole cylinder and fixed it. That was four years ago though, and the other side. How hare is the relief valve to change and are they very expensive? Thank you for your help.

4. kimber750

Not hard to change, not very expensive but can be a pain to get to since they are hiding behind the plastic cover. If you do check them the damage is almost always obvious. Damaged o ring or piece of dirt is all it takes. I have seen two come from factory with dirt stuck in a relief valve causing your exact symptoms. Most likely a damaged ram would leak.

5. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

ok. Do I just need the one?

6. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

7. kimber750

None of those are the xv pump. Gimme a sec.

8. kimber750

9. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Ahhh. Thank you very much. So is it the PS or the DS??

10. kimber750

Which wing is drifting back? PS= passenger side, DS=drivers side.