1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XV cutting edge $375!?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PLM-1, Jan 30, 2011.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I need a new edge....again. The last edge I bought from CPW was in the upper $2xx range and now they're $375! Is there a better place to buy these edges and is there anything better than the factory edge? I'm getting pretty tired of changing these edges out.

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

its not cheap to cut a piece of steel in half

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I glanced at their website when I did a google search. I will contact them.

I don't mind to pay for the Fisher edge, but I would like for it to last at least a half season. I don't think that's too much to ask, especially at $375 a pop.

5. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

PLM,
    Just noticed your pushing with a brand new truck so am assuming that plow was swapped over from the last truck ???? Something seams outta whack with this post ??? I just went and looked up the AVG snowfall for the State of Mo and from a 60 year avg from NOAA study they listed you at about 20"for your overall avg ?????. Now I do realize you may have seasons; that you get more than that; But compared to places like where we live, that can receive over 200" ,You dont get that much snow down there??? I have a friend that bought a new XV plow the FIRST year Fisher came out with it; And he plows nothing but GRAVEL roads, and his hardware store 400X300' gravel parking lot . His original cutting edge, is worn down after 5 seasons now approximately 30% ?????????? I am on the second year of plowing commercially with a XV; but I run shoes and he doesnt. My plowing is ALL gravel; and mine is now showing about 5% total wear . So lets look this over ????? He has 5 seasons plowing in a place that receives 10X [TEN TIMES] as much snow as you get; and he is down 30% of his total width; of a cutting edge so I guess its fair to say that unless he starts plowing alot more he is going to get at least 10 years from a cutting edge ??? How in heck could you possibly wear out a cutting edge as fast as you do??? You must have around 2-300 accounts that you are plowing with that one plow???
    As you just dont get enough snow; to possibly wear out cutting edges as fast as you are; Unless you are plowing hundreds of accounts ?????
    I dont know if its possible for the plow to be far enough out of adjustment to wear it that fast??? Have you ever thought about a set of shoes; and leaving an 1/8 of an inch of snow ???? I know there is a bunch on here that are "SCRAPPERS" ..................So enlighten us with how much your plowing; or any other special applications you are up to???? As something about this cutting edge wear; just doesnt sound right?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Im already on my 2nd cutting edge on my 8' X-Blade this season. Flipped them both too.. I have no idea how you get a edge to last years....

Now my plow is down an average 15 -20 hours strait per storm.

i will use 2 edges a season.

7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

It sounds like this must be a problem associated with plowing nothing but paved lots and constantly scraping them as nothing else could possibly wear them that fast??
    So now the question is are you both saying; that you feel that the material they are made from is "softer" than anyone elses????? Or in your perticular application; would you not have the same problem from any cutting edge you used??? Or is the question that it is somehow hooked back to a XV plow and its design ???? Because we plow compleatly different conditions than you fellas are plowing. I am wondering if ANY ones cutting edges; are going to be able to be subjected to constantly dragging them on pavement chewing on them every pass ?????? I do hear you that they are not standing up for you guys; but am wondering if you get them hardened enough to give you longer wear quality; that they will be so hard that when you hit things it is going to knock junks right outta the edge; or worse break them in two pieces??? Must be the combo of the weight of the plow, and the steeper moldboard angle????? Is this the price of admission to get the "clean scrape" they are so noted for??? So I am now guessing that if we just took off down the hyway with the plow down on the pavement sparks flying how long will the cutting edges last on one plow VS another plow being in constant contact with a paved surface ???? 20 miles or 200 miles ???

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I do a lot of streets and really large lots. I don't mess around with those piddly drives and tiny parking lots. We've already had 2 events this year and we had 4 last year. I'm also out an average of 16 hours per storm. I've got the edge I changed out pre-season in the garage if you would like for me to post a pic. The bottom line is these edges don't last and they're over-priced for what you get. I tried the curb guard/shoe combo from Fisher when I bought my plow and the edge didn't even touch the ground so I nixed that as I need to actually scrape down to the pavement.

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well I think you have answered your own question here................ it is associated compleatly to the pavement and the scape you want ................... and I hear you on the "we have already had two events and you have plowed an avg of 16 hrs] so I know have a better idea how much snow your pushing.
    So I guess if we do the math in the application you actually have you are saying that in about 32 hrs of plowing you have worn out a brand new cutting edge if I read this right ?????
    I guess I am going to agree with you that Fisher is charging way tooooo much for these cutting edges they should be about half of the retail price on these , but I really dont know if that is really going to fix your delemia as it sounds like if you guys ever got 15-20 events a year like we do you would need to buy around 10 new sets of blades a year [using your formula of wearing them out in two events] so its going to be expensive anyway you look at it ?????? I wonder if its just the physics of a 1000 lbs resting on a pieces of 3/8" steel rubbing back and forth across pavement and there is really no fix???????

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

11. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Well this is it

A guy don't mind paying for something that out of this world in $$$ if its going to hold up
    But come on i got a EZ-V Guess what i get for where 1/2" for $200 that's what i get they come new @ 6" and @ 51/2 u got to get new edges payup I think that's nuts:realmad:

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I think Burkarts my have a solution for you as they are talking 400% increase with those and in your application that would be a lifesaver! Hey good luck getting it all straightened out as I can imagine your frustration!
    Cheers!

13. M&M

M&M Senior Member

FisherVMan, it sounds like your edge does not heat up plowing gravel intermittently (forward, reverse, forward, reverse, etc.) like someone who plows streets with the blade down for a much longer time. Heat is a killer on edges. Just like digging sand with an excavator is worse than digging rocks.

14. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I hear you M&M and I think your dead right about that ................... I just cant imagine wearing out a set of cutting edges in two storms but I guess its possible as he has done it more than once from the sounds of it. I can certainly understand him being upset about the price of the darn things it is real crazy what they cost............ of course steel is right off the clock today . Heat is the problem here it seams.

15. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I am not complaining about the price .. i only pay $149.00 for the reversible XBlade cutting edge, But they dont last for anything..

Yes i do parking lots , and my plow is down for 4-5 hours a clip. then driveways then back to lots..

I was offered a Carbide cutting edge from my Fisher dealer for the price of $600.00 :eek:

Uh no thanks........

16. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

hey maleko you should try putting a 5/8 edge on thats the next edge i will be putting on my x blade it is way bigger and will last more.

17. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I ordered another one. $438.30 shipped from CPW. Got a foot of snow headed this way, hopefully my inch of edge left will make it until Wednesday when UPS (if it can get here) graces me with its presence.

18. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I was looking at those the other day. Would I just need them on the ends? Nothing in/toward the center?

19. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I had about 2" of edge left this morning. Plowed 4 hrs and I'm well into the base angle now. 18" on the ground...

20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yeah just on the end, But if you are doing a lot of roads, you can get sets that fit on the inner blade as well. But IMO putting them on the end will be enough insurance for getting more life out of your blade,