1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XtremeV Pin Life

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I bought a XtremeV a couple years back, and use it on commercial accounts. Frankly I don't have any complaints thus far. But I'm curious about what kind of "ballpark" lifespan the center pin for the blades will get. What's your long term experience with it?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh boy.......

Depends on mostly who you ask, and maybe who you believe.

Two key issues here. The pin can/does break, and the hinge points on the wings wear.

Just one of several threads detailing the problem

There are others, search for hinge, pin, etc

For the record, for a chain lift, it's very nice to plow with. Steep cutting edge scrapes well, fast hydraulics, and the stainless looks sharp.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

OP-How old is your plow now/how many seasons are on it?
  4. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I purchased it 10/08. So it's starting its third season.
  5. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Yeah, I've read that post the year I bought my plow, and I'm aware of those pin problems. But I haven't come across any more posts as of lately about the pin. Anyway, all I really want to know is. If you have one of these V's, and have had it for a while. What's the average lifespan of a pin? 2, 4, 8 years?
    Just looking for some non-biased input.
  6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I purchased mine in '08 as well and I am experiencing some wear of the hinge point on the wings. It's not that big of a deal yet but it is starting. What happens and this is due to the very short stack stops that I have installed is that as it starts to wear, the spring mount started to contact the motor case. I was able to add shims to the stops to prevent any damage but I am definitely keeping my eye on it.

PS I would but this plow again in a heart beat.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Mine is on its 5th season plowing commercial and a bunch of residential. I take care of my stuff spraying it down with FF a few times a season, servicing it every year etc. Jerre (where I get it serviced) said it might be time for a new one next season. IDK how they determine that but before the season started I went to move it and I felt a slight grinding when I put it into scoop, I'm guessing the pin was getting bad. But again 5th season, 4-6hrs of plowing a night and roughly 45 plowing events a season. They need to put grease fittings on it. I just keep soaking it in FF.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can call me biased, but facts are facts, pics are pics.
  9. plowguy43

2cor- did you ever get the upgraded pin from fisher? The hardened steel revised pin? Just wondering if its held up better.
  10. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I'm not calling you biased. BTW, what ever came of all of that? Do you still have or use the plow?
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The pics of the bent pin - that's the "new hardened" pin.........

I no longer have the plow. Scaled my operation back this year.
  12. plowguy43

Wow that's crazy! Sorry to hear you had problems even after the "upgrade".

What are you runing now?
  13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

hey 2cor,
    Glad to hear you finally got rid of that old thing............... I am sure everyday; will just keep getting better and better; now that V is down the road?
    Looking forward to seeing pictures of "Big Red" shortly??? As I always enjoy seeing a fella get his "dream plow" and gosh knows you have been wanting that for a looooooooooooong time
    Congradulations and Merry Ho Ho.............
  14. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Ohio Scraper,
    It was a nice sunny afternoon so I decided to pull my pin to take a look as my plow has one season on it and thought it would be interesting to look it over and check it out. I pulled it and found some wear on all the wear points [everyplace it passes thru the casting] and it seamed equall on all 5 spots .
    I could NOT measure it with calipers to speak of but the easyest way to tell you how much wear is my pin has a plating on it all over that is not cadmium unless they can now do it in a dull silver ??? And it has worn thru that plating to the steel of the pin but something less than a couple of thousands even on the worst place. It is interesting that the big casting in the center [where I was toying with the idea of slaping a couple of grease fittings] doesnt really bear any load at all ???? There was no sign of wear there at all and it still had all of the plating still on it there??? So the only spots that did show is very very minor but to be fair we had a very very light season last year . So dont know if that helps or not . We are only plowing a dozen driveways and two parking lots but some of them are long drives [700ft] and gravel with lots of drifting . I think folks would call me very careful with my equipment, and I would normally approach any tough situation cautiously and slowly but the fact remains the plow has certainly had some action and seams to be holding up very well .............. with that said if you get a winter like 2007 or 08 it would probably be a much better indicator than last season so time will tell of course. IMO I think that the engineers at Fisher probably drew and redrew this hinge; many times on a computer program; and were satisfied with it before this ever went to the first fab up; on the orginal models .................. weather it is perfect or as good as brand X ; I really dont know, but I can tell you that with any V plow after you smash it into something that isnt going to give you will bend or break something ................ I good friend of mine had an early Diamond V with the super high wings and was of a fairly rugged design and he hit a frozen stump with it with the left wing about half way in to the hinge pin and it crumpled the left clyinder by ripping the attachment boss compleatly off the lower arms and wrinkled the blade to the point that it now sets about 6" above the right blade............. it is now junk and sets out behind the house . He has a 9ft straight blade he replaced it with but does still use the V if he gets huge drifts to break it open then just switches back to the big 9fter.
    I think the pin can certainly be bent and as some have experenced broken but I think if all were told to do that you are talking about MAJOR stress and NOT normal plowing..............
    The bad news is mine had about ZERO grease on it!!!!!!! I overloaded it and pushed it back down and now it is oooozing out all the castings so I think I am all set for the season!!!
    Good luck and hope this helps you ????
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  16. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Thanks for the insight Vman! If anyone else has long term experience with the center pin please keep the responses coming.

17. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Not really long term experience but I pulled mine today to check it out and lube it up. Not bent, looked pretty good to me. Only 1 year old and we had a mild winter with very few storms last year. But I do plow a half mile long gravel road and 2 gravel drives so it does take some abuse bouncing off rocks.