1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XtremeV lift ram--2 problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by andylphoto, Dec 21, 2009.

1. andylphoto

andylphoto Junior Member

First of all, thanks to all who post here. I post infrequently, but read and learn a lot. I've got 2 problems--don't know if they're related or not.

The plow (8.5' XtremeV) was new last year, and went most of the winter with no problems. Toward the end of the season, it started creeping down when raised. Occasionally it will stay tight in the raised position, against the stops. Probably 80% of the time though, it will creep down slowly over time. The dealer changed out the packing on the cylinder over the summer, and it stayed up for the whole ride home, so I thought it was fixed, but not so--same behavior as before.

I had the plow on for a couple weeks in early December and (other than the above) had no problems. Took it off last week during some good weather, and now that I've put it back on, have another problem with the lift ram. It sounds like the pump is really straining to raise it. When in V, it will make it to the top, but sounds labored. In any other position, the problem is very pronounced, and it won't even raise the blade to the top with one push.

The fluid level is good, and the fluid is new--changed by the dealer in August. I've cleaned the connections at the battery, both pos. & neg. I also disconnected both plugs and reseated them--both looked okay. This seemed similar to what happened when the breather froze up once, so I swapped it out, and even tried raising with the breather off--no change. The L/R hydraulics seem fine, but of course there's a lot less resistance there.

I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer, but if this is something I can diagnose and/or fix myself, all the better. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Kinda sounds like a bad cartridge (valve). B&B will know, but I had this problem with an Old MM1 that used seperate Valves from the hydraulic motor. It would always slowly lower itself- ending up being a bad o-ring on the valve. I know the new plows all use electronic sylenoid cartridge's which sounds like the lift cartridge is bad.

3. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

i had a similar problem like this the other day with my XV. the problem was that the lower/float cartridge wasn't closing completely. so i replaced the float cartridge and fixed the problem.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Friend of mine lost his last night. His blade will only stay up for a few seconds Sounds like the S3 cartridge is gone to me.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You have friends?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just the one......

7. andylphoto

andylphoto Junior Member

Thanks for the diagnosis and suggestions. That gives me a direction to look in. Hopefully I can get this taken care of without a trip to the dealer!