1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XtremeV Hydraulic issues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by andylphoto, Feb 26, 2009.

1. andylphoto

andylphoto Junior Member

I've got two issues--not sure if they're related or not. The first is that for a while now, there has been hydraulic fluid blowing out of the breather. After plowing I usually end up with a pile of blue colored snow on top of the reservoir. I opened it up last week, and had to add about a half quart to top it off.

The second issue is that for about the past two weeks, the plow has started to drop a bit when raised, i.e. for highway travel. But it's not consistent. Sometimes it'll drop a half inch or so (on the cylinder) over just a few miles, other times it stays right at the top. Probably 75-80% of the time it will drop if left up. There is no visible leakage at any of the fittings, or around the top of the cylinder. Could this be due to moisture being sucked in through the breather?

The plow is new this season. Any ideas on these? Thanks!

2. kj330

kj330 Member

It sounds to me like you have some air in the system. And when you checked the fluid the plow was in the V position, with the lift ram all the way collapsed?

3. andylphoto

andylphoto Junior Member

I did have the plow in V, but I can't say for sure if the lift ram was *completely* collapsed, now that I think about it. I have the spring set to pull it down, but I don't remember if I made sure it collapsed that last inch or two. I'm going to pull it in when I get home tonight and check on the fluid level again, and double check on that.

4. kj330

kj330 Member

Ya even if your ram is one or two inches up, and you go and top off your resivoir, it will be overfilled. My spring only takes the ram 80% back in, so i make sure i collaps it manualy.. I would look at the manual and see how to remove air from the system..good luck

5. andylphoto

andylphoto Junior Member

I will double check the fluid level and do the procedure for removing air from the system this afternoon. However, that still leaves me with the problem of it blowing fluid out the breather, which it was doing before I topped off the reservoir.

I had a problem last December that I thought might be low fluid. The plow wouldn't raise all the way unless it was in V position. On that occasion, when I checked on it, the fluid was at an appropriate level with all the cylinders completely collapsed.

That problem turned out to be an iced up breather--There was freezing rain at the time. Once I thawed and cleaned out the breather, everything worked fine. But like I said, the fluid level was good at that time.

Then recently, it's been spewing the fluid through the breather. Again, it was doing that for a while before I added the fluid last week.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully just forcing air out will clear up the lift ram problem. Then I just need to figure out the breather issue.

6. andylphoto

andylphoto Junior Member

Okay...I went through the procedure for bleeding air from the system. The plow is sitting in the UP position in the garage right now to see if it maintains pressure. As for the fluid level, even after just topping it off last week, I had to add another six ounces to bring it up to the fill hole.

Here is what the breather looks like when it's snowing out. Any ideas what would cause it to be spitting fluid like that? Obviously if it's overfilled, but when that's not the problem?

[​IMG]

7. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I haven't got into mine enough to know if it's possible, but what about a leak on the inlet side of the pump so it would be sucking in air, and creating the foam?