1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme V = Xtreme frustration

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I have finally gotten the time to sit down and put this masterpiece of plowing technology together and I've had this in every position (that I can think of, including laying flat on the ground) to line up the holes and get the pivot pin to slide into place.
    I've gotten it through the top and have been stuck on the bottom set of holes for quite some time now and frankly my head is about ready to explode!!:realmad:
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

2. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Is there any excess powder coat built up in the holes?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Should have caughed up the extra 300 bucks to let the dealer worry about it ;) I would agree with the first response, a build up of powder coating in the holes. See if the pin is even straight.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a way of wiggling the wings while you're trying to get the pin into place? I ran into a similar problem when putting together my MVP but once I got my brother to push back and forth on the wings it finally went all the way in.

Personally I think the tip of the pin should have a little bit of a point to it so that it can bypass all the joints easier.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Go to a grinder and put a bevel on it, see if that helps u out

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Good advice. Mine is already in place so I'm good to go. Hopefully that'll help the guy who started this thread.

7. PLOW_GUY

PLOW_GUY Junior Member

You don't want to put a bevel on it becuase you will allow more play and you will void your warranty should something come from it. Check to make sure the two center pieces of the cutting edge are not stopping you from getting the bottom close enough. The best way i have found to assemble them is chauking them with the wood it is shipped in so that it is standing as it would be if you were plowing. Good luck.

Scott

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

After assembling this myself, I found that you really have to have two people, one to put the pin through and one to push the two blade halves around while you push on the pin.

Once you get the upper part of the blades together use a dead blow hammer and hit the pin as the other person lines up the bottom part of the blades. I promise you that it will go in this way. You just have be patent and wiggle it around while the other person hits the pin in.

Don't use a regular hammer because you could damage the end of the pin if the blades are not lined up, but the dead blow with not do that.

Keep in mind the pin fit is rather tight and you will have to hit it with the dead blow rather hard, but it will go. You don't want to grind down the tip if you can avoid it. Also it will not hurt to apply lubricant to the pin.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I really don't see why giving the edge of the pin a little bit of a bevel would hurt anything....so with that said, I'll just wait until B&B comes and tells me why it's a bad idea :D

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I bevel every single one on any brand V if it isn't already...or isn't enough. Makes assembly or re-assembly much easier.

11. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I'd like to get this together without grinding anything! Fisher seems like the kind of company that if it needed to be ground down they would have done that. I plan on giving it another "college try" this coming weekend with more heads and hands. That being said, I'll pull it back apart and check all holes for powder coat build-up. Like Scott said, I had also thought chalking and standing the plow up as if it were in position to plow made sense for everything to line up better instead of it laying on the ground. Who knows! I really appreciate all of the insight into this matter and if anyone has more to add please do, this could very well help the next guy who tried to save $400 on an install fee!

12. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

XtremeV

Do not bevel the pin! The pin is designed to make full contact with the bottom bushing. Any amount that is ground off will be that much less that makes contact with the bushing. There are a few different ways that you can do this. The issue you are running into is the fact that the center tube section has a thinner wall than the actual bushings that creates a "shelf" that the pin is contacting if not inserted squarely. I myself lay it on the ground till I get to the point that your at and then I stand the blade up and insert the pin the rest of the way. In our training schools most of our dealers claim that they leave one wing in the original crate and block the other the same height, then put the a-frame on a floor jack and wheel it into place. Doing it this way allows you to wiggle all three pieces to get the pin to drop into place. Either way the blade needs to be upright for the final 3 or 4 inches to be inserted, otherwise you are just pinching the pin off to the side. The tapered wings do not allow the blade wings to sit flat when laying on the ground. This is by far the most difficult part of the install, after the wings are together the rest will much easier.

Brian

13. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Brian,
    I know what you're saying about the "shelf" and that's not the issue. I've gotten the pin through that center tube, it's the next bushing I'm having a hell of time with getting lined up.
    Haven't try it with a floor jack yet, that sounds like it would help out a great deal!
    I'll keep you posted on how it goes this coming weekend.

Thanks!

14. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Come to think of it, I installed mine exactly how Brian stated minus the jack for the T-Frame. I put the pin in the first section while both blades were on lying flat on the ground then stood them up to get the pin through the bottom part. That's when I used the dead blow to knock in through the bottom section.

15. PLOW_GUY

PLOW_GUY Junior Member

That sounds good Brian. It works good that way to. They are fun though!!!!!!!!!:dizzy:

16. Mid-Ohio Scaper

To hell with this weekend! I called a buddy of mine up tonight and he came over with a floor jack, we stood it up, put the floor jack under the T frame and we had the pin in all the way in a matter of 15 minutes! I guess all it takes is the right person giving the right advice! Thanks Brian!!!!