1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xtreme v ot boss v-xt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikeyfff1011, Feb 18, 2009.

1. mikeyfff1011

mikeyfff1011 Member

whats up guys in the summer i plan on getting a different truck i want to get a powerstroke diesel but my question is what v plow is the best out of the xtreme v or v-xt i like them both but i also want a good product with not many problems what do you think?
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I've used neither so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter...But if both dealers were equal, and I was buying..

I would lean towards the boss..

I'm done with chain lift plows.
  3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I've been plowing with a 9'2" vxt this winter - has been working great. Not sure the 'xt' part does anything really, but it looks f'n awesome!
  4. M&M

M&M Senior Member

My buddy and I had this same debate last summer and I decided that with NH snow, the full trip of the boss would not be the best for me. He decided that the xt looked cooler and went with that. We've had 2 storms up here, one ice and one snow to rain this year that my buddy with the boss v-xt was very unhappy with the full trip. That told me that I made the correct decision with the extreme-v as I haven't had a sigle issue.
  5. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I'd say Sno-Way Mega if it seems all the kinks are worked out of the new design by then. If not the proven Sno-Way V or the Boss V.
  6. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I haven't had any trip issues with mine, but the snow I'm plowing here weighs a fraction of what that NH crap does...
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Deep down inside...

I think everyone wants a Mega...:nod:

Hell, I want one on the outside...:cry:
  8. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. Do yourself a favor and just get the Fisher. If you buy a blade for looks, you're buying the blade for all the wrong reasons. That Boss may look "cool" but that's where it ends. There is nothing good about a full trip V plow. Just do your homework if you don't believe me.:salute:
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What's wrong with my plow? Yes, serious question.
  10. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Why hello old friend. I plow with 5 guys with Boss V plows and 4 out of those 5 have their list of complaints (with one guy to proud to come clean), but the one that I hear from Boss V owners more than not is that it beats the hell out of the truck. Believe me, I didn't believe them at first. So one guy says to me "let me take you for a ride so you can feel for yourself". That's where the bullsh*t stopped and the neck brace began. So for me it was an easy choice when I bought my Vplow.
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmm, interesting. I guess they should stop ramming into things! But yes, I have had a few hard hits. My rearview mirror even fell off once! OUCH!
  12. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

wow i cant belive this. how about dealer support first off. if you dont have a good dealer around you what ever plow you get isnt worth a damm if/when it breaks.

and as for boss vs fisher i think the guy who says its a rougher ride than his fisher i think thats kinda funny. your pushing snow. not driving a limo.

i say go boss all the way. ive got 4 of them and would not for one second think about any other plow.

besides your gonna buy a ford. youll have all kinds of other things breaking on you why not get a good plow for when your trucks broke.:gunsfiring:
  13. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Yeah, cuz that's what I said "it's a rougher ride"?!?!?!:dizzy: If you go back and READ what I wrote I said nothing about ride. I said, and I quote "the one that I hear from Boss V owners more than not is that it beats the hell out of the truck". This happens when you find manhole covers and other things hidden under the snow that would make the blade trip. The ride is all up to your truck and the suspension, not your blade.
    What's with your Ford bashing. Is GM that much better???? check out this thread and tell what's up with these weak a** GM products. :eek:

Next time you post, stick to what the guy who started the thread asked for and keep mindless comments to yourself.:salute:
  14. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  15. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I was involved in some testing (as a plow manufacturers rep back in the day). We tested full trip plows against trip edge plows. We tested at 10, 15, and 20 mph going over manholes. What a noticeable difference in impact between the two. With the trip edge, there was virtually no impact felt. The full trip about put me through the windshield (thank god for seatbelts).

Whichever plow you choose, just make sure the dealership has a good reputation. That will be the most important part of your decision.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I knew you were smarter than you looked. ;)

While I don't necessarily like the chain lift, I like the Fisher V's better. Had far better luck and less repairs with them in the short amount of time I had them before switching to another type of plow which is FAR more productive than a V.

So I'd say go with the Fisher.

FWIW, I've had both Boss and Fisher V's. ;) Just more first hand experience. wesport
  17. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I been usin the 9.2 V XT on my new F350 Dump and I havent had any problem yet with it. We did have some heavy snow and there were piles that were already frozen and I couldnt push it any more so I put it in the point position and that thing broke right through the frozen pile pushing it back with no problem. I also do a lot where I push it to one side forming a huge line about 2 ft high and probably about 75 ft long. I then put it into the scoop position and push it straight back into the corner with not one problem. I dont like chain lift plows cause they seem wait to slow than the hydrolic ones as far as lifting goes. Also the Trip Edge seem like they always trip and dont get down to the pavement.
  18. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I'd vote for the snoway mega v
  19. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thats funny my trip edge is fine, never had a problem with it tripping all the time. What type of experince do you have with this type of trip edge?