1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xtreme v issue !!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dcamp824, Jan 17, 2013.

1. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

I was out last night with one of our 08 3500 hd's with a 8.5 xtr v after i ran it throughout the night with no prob after running for about 15 hrs i noticed after i lifted the plow and let go of the up button on the fishstick the plow kept making a noise like the pump was still running. i could not get it to stop. i turned the power off on the remote and it still kept running. I turned power back on remote and it works in all directions and scoop and vee, the only way to get it to stop was to pull the plug at the bumper.but the second i touched them plugs together at the bumper it would start running again.when i got back to our shop i took a remote out of one of our other trucks hooked it up when i plugged it back in at the bumper it made that running noise for a split second and then stopped now plow is working fine with the diff remote.. is it the remote or something else.??
    Thanks, Dave.

2. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Maybe solenoid is sticking, it's on the plow pump.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It may be one of the relays are sticking on the pump or your controller may be going bad. How Lon have you been running the pump with the new controller?

4. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

I have not run it much with the diff controller i just grabbed one out of another truck just to see if it would help it. Just wanna make sure its that before it snows so were not down a truck.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Faint...slight humming noise?

6. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

No its accually louder then when you are cycling the plow.. while its making the noise if i press the buttons the plow cycles and sounds normal when you let your finger off the button the noise is still there.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Something is tripping the solenoid to activate the plow's pump...Other then the obvious (the controller), I would suspect the Plow side ISO...but I would more likely think it's the controller.

Things to check - Obviously the grill connector for ice or other contamination.

Then remove the rear pump cover, and examine the wiring to the solenoid.

Remove the front pump cover, you'll see the ISO, make sure all the connectors are fully seated into it, and there is no ice build up.

Track the control harness coming through the firewall, out to the battery connection, make sure it's not at all pinched, kinked....or otherwise compromised.

If it all checks out, I would swap back to the other controller, and when it does it again, disconnect it from under the dash, and see if it stops it that way. If so, I would be comfortable saying it's the controller for sure. If not, there is obviously more at play with an open signal, or a bad ISO plow side.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  8. nuttyKEITHS

nuttyKEITHS Junior Member

I have the same problem. Hooked the plow to another truck, still had the problem, so that eliminates the truck or controller as the problem. Swapped out a plow module from another plow, still no luck. Put on a new relay, still no luck, at this point I'm thinking it has to be in one of the wiring harnesses on the plow. Here's another weird thing I noticed, if the truck wasn't physically connected to the plow, the problem wasn't there, as soon as you connect the truck to the plow with a piece of metal it makes a spark, and the pump starts to run! My guess is its a short circuit in the multi-plex harness...... Gonna change both harnesses on the plow tomorrow and I'll let you know how I make out!

9. nuttyKEITHS

nuttyKEITHS Junior Member

Well, found the problem, it was the main power harness with the multiplex wires in it. The plow side of the harness must have had a short in it, changed it out, everything is working fine now!

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

There ya go, makes sense.

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Had the same problem with my xls as the motor was running non stop . Unplugged the power cable and stopped. Hooked up to another plow and everything worked fine. Ended up being the motor relay solenoid was stuck. Tapped it a couple of times with a wrench and it flipped back off. I will tell you that I missed the xls since I had to run around a couple of days plowing with the 8.6 exv as I did not have time to work on the plow.