1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme V Issue - Please read

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by lincoln295, Feb 25, 2009.

1. lincoln295

lincoln295 Junior Member

hey all
    I have a 8'6" SS XV and have any issue with the drive side wing hanging down lower than the passenge side. if you pick up on the driver side it seems to have a lot of up and down play. the design of the hinge system will only let that side move not the passenger. I have tried going back to the dealer but they just say nothings wrong.(imagine that). from what I see the hinge has to much clearance on the top. the clearance from the t-frame to the pass wing is .083" and from the pass wing to the drivers wing is .161". If these clearances were smaller the plow would have less play. I am going to try and find some hardened washers to use as shims and see if that helps the problem. does anybody else have this problem? or have any other ideas.
    thanks

LABELED PLOW.jpg

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

How much more is it down than the other side? Do you travel in v mode and the driver side scrapes?

3. lincoln295

lincoln295 Junior Member

yes I travel in V. the driver side is 1.25" inches lower on the outside edge.

4. kj330

kj330 Member

I just got mine installed on the 13 th and when washing the truck and plow yesterday i realized the same thing. I checked my leaf springs and made sure all is well, but i didnt even look at the center..I will sat. when i put the plow on again... If you get an answer send me a message plse....Mine plows fine??????????

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

If you put it in scoop mode and drop it do both wings sit evenly on the ground?

6. lincoln295

lincoln295 Junior Member

yes they sit even on the ground. although the gaps in the hinges on top get smaller but a gap develops on the bottom set of hinges. I believe the T-frame is too wide from top to bottom. it seems to plow ok but I am concerned that the frame will continue to wear from the bouncing going down the road. I pulled the center pin out and you can already see wear on the hinges, This morning I ran into a guy with the same plow and his is VERY loose. His is only 1 1/2 years old. Mine was bought this year. I wish I could get a spec measurement from fisher but they tell me to deal with the dealer!!:mad:

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher has a huge issue with these plows. The first generation center pins were very soft, they are replacing them with a hardened pin. I'm not sure this is a permanent "lifetime" fix. Also, the design of the wings puts much more pressure on the driver's wing wear points. I broke my center pin a couple of months ago. Fortunately I had run into a fellow plowman early in the season with the same plow. He showed me how to check it out. Lift the blade up, and put it straight/square with the truck. Try lifting the ends of the wings. I'm sure you will find the left wing moves much more than the right. I took it to my dealer, so they had the parts already ordered when mine broke. You probably need a new center pin, left wing, and maybe a T frame. Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to kick and scream to get this fix. I am very dissapointed by Fisher's attitude with this problem. We pay 6 grand or more for a plow, and they don't want to stand behind it and replace a few hundred bucks worth of parts. You might try going to another dealer to see if they can / will help. Also, a Western dealer might be able to help. It's basically the same plow as the MVP. If you don't get someone to help you out right away, I would call Fisher at Rockland Maine and ask to speak to the company president.

8. lincoln295

lincoln295 Junior Member

I have tried going to the dealer and showing them the problem but I just get the "We have never seen that before" treatment. After being at the dealer for 4 hours they called fisher. Fisher told them to measure the center pin and ID of the hole in the wings. I was told they are acceptable. When I asked what is "acceptable" the dealer could not give me a number. They said it is fishers call. I called fisher to ask for a tolerance number and was told there isn't any number. The engineers make a call based on what they think! I was also told I have the new hardened pin. I can't believe an "engineering" company could not design something better than this. The holes in the wings and T-frame should have some type of replaceable bushing. thus NOT wearing out the pin and frame. But what do I know I'm not and "engineer":realmad:

9. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks for the info lincoln, I had just assumed bushings would be used also. So the wear parts are the wings themselves?
    I don't see any grease in the pic ... is the king pin not greaseable either?

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mopard - The wings do wear. I presume the older soft pins wore as well, I don't know about the new hardened pin. You are correct there are no grease fittings. A good fix would be a stainless center pin. Center drilled with a zerk fitting on top. Cross drilled at the wear points. Wouldn't be a big deal to hit it with grease before/after each storm. Another solution would be bushings in the wings made of a softer material such as brass, and just plan on replacing them every so often. Unfortunately, it stinks for us to be "re-engineering" this thing. The hinge/pin on the EZ-V was simple and reliable. Not foolproof, but much better than this mess. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.