1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme v hinge pin question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by everestscape, Oct 30, 2013.

1. everestscape

everestscape Member

Hey guys!!!!! Alright i was all set to get my 8.5' xtreme v but I'm seeing a lot of threads about the hinge pins bending and such. The threads i read though were from 2009 and the plows in the discussion were 2-3 years older so essentially the plows with the issues were from 2006-07. The xtreme v im 99% buying is a 2011 model. Did they change anything at all from a 2006-07 model to the 2011-12 to make it better or worse. Any help would make me feel better about this purchase. THANKS!!

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

The put a hardened pin in. I still hear of some issues but they are on the 9'6. Most i know would never trade back for a straight blade.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I pull mine and grease it every year. This will be it's third season with no issues.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That will help tremendously.

OP- are you buying the new XV2 or an older model? I haven't looked up close so they may have beefed up the hinge/pin on the XV2

5. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

My 2 older model 9/6 XV both have 1" center pins that were tweaked on the bottom 6 inches.....will post pics later. I do not think they are hardened steel and may wonder if that would help or hurt. I changed both this year because one broke last year, yes I kept the bent ones...never know. I did grease the hell out of em but much of the grease won't stay due to design...doesn't team RED have a greasable pin?
    I believe the new XV2 is a 1.25" pin".....but still no grease fitting.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I believe its called a "Massive Pin" in the new MVP3 and VX2.

7. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

This is what I do as well. They will get worn out, but they are easy and cheap to replace. It is a 10 min job and cost about $25.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Because there was nothing wrong with the old pin. Thumbs Up

9. HDMan 16

HDMan 16 Junior Member
    from NH

I just bought an XV2 and there are 5 holes for Zerk fittings. You need to tap them out. I tapped for 1/4 x 28 fittings and installed Zerks and greased them. I asked the installer about that and as he said "It is metal against metal". I am new to the V plows so hopefully this will help.

10. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

These guys with bent pins...what trucks were these mounted on? Duallys with sanders?

Did the EZ V have center pin issues?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I sat behind a bunch of Fisher vee plows for over a decade and never once bent a hinge pin. I'm curious as to what you guys are doing to bend a 1" or greater diameter pin. Not taking shots at anyone I'm honestly just wondering.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

All V's have some type of pin problems. DD bend, BoSS plow has been known to break wings off and some forth

13. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I also just purchased a new xv2 but those holes are not there to install grease fittings..... the fisher manual states to use a rubber tipped tip on any conventional grease gun and pump grease in that way... I wouldn't think it would be good having those metal fittings protruding into the front of the blade... I can see them easily getting sheared off etc if you start pushing ice or frozen snow. I grabbed a rubber tip and it worked perfectly... the new pin size is 1.25" and is hardened.

14. everestscape

everestscape Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. My dealer said he will give me free pin replacement for life because he has never seen this issue. Also I want to know what you guys think of this deal...2011 xtreme v 8.5' yellow steel with curb guards and backdrag edge. Mint condition installed for $4500. Thoughts??

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a deal I would jump on it if it was a 9.6 model

16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That is only about $1000 less than I paid for a new one installed.

17. Mark Oomkes

https://www.google.com/search?q=nee...LUsATa7oG4BA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=918

Like the other guy said, no need for fittings.

Boss has used the same method since at least 1990. It helps but doesn't prevent hinge problems.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's an 8.5

19. Mark Oomkes

Lol........