1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme V First Impressions...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by branr1, Feb 8, 2010.

1. branr1

branr1 Member

Well I picked up my 9.5 Xtreme V SS plow on Friday. Friday night and Saturday we had a Storm that left us with about 3-6 inches depending on where you are in town. I've got to say I really like this plow so far. It has already taken a few small hits and it seems to handle it well. Its a fast plow being that its the first I've owned with an electric pump. I'm able to Stack snow higher then ever before when I'm in Scoop mode.

I have this mounted on my new to me 2008 F250 5.4 V8 Regular Cab. I put Timbrens in it on Wednesday night and Thursday I installed the mount and all the wiring for the plow, And like I stated above Friday I picked the plow up. This Plow Truck Combo has been working great. I'm a Dodge man at heart (I own 2 Dodge Cummins Trucks) but I think Ford has hit it on the head with the Super Duty in regards to Drive-train and Carrying a plow.

So I guess I'd give the Xtreme V's a big thumbs up in the short term and we'll see if it holds up.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck with it........

3. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I just put a new 8 1/2' ExtremeV MS on my 99' Super Duty.So far I really like it,its taking a little bit to get used to the Fish stick controller [my old 7 1/2' straight blade had the joy stick] and the very fast hydraulics.I have the rubber snow deflector and the back drag edge.This plow back drags way better than my old plow did.

4. branr1

branr1 Member

I forgot to mention that in my first post. I also purchased and installed a Back Drag Edge on my 9.5, I'm really happy with how well it back drags. I'll post some pictures of the plow truck combo in a little bit. If I'm able to justify another truck next year I may try a Fisher XLS just to round out the fleet.

5. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

branr1,
    Good Luck with your new plow , yea they are very fast and certainly take some getting used to but I think you will really get attached to it as you get more and more used to it. They are sorta considered to be the Rolls Royce of plows by most folks . However with that said there is a large following on this site of Boss Plow guys.
    Your plow will serve you well if you look after it. But the V design; with any manufacturer; certainly has the potential of more stuff wearing; and moving; compared to a straight blade. If you are going to try and do stuff with it that you really need a D3 or an Oskhosh for ; your probably going to be disapointed. I bought one last year after using a friends the winter before while ice fishing, and plowing the lake off on weekends. Of course the lake drifts horribily and it was a new deal to be able to go right thru 4ft drifts! I could see it was way easyer on the truck; than bunting away with a straight blade; and then the scoop part turns out to be the real cool part of it; as I use the inverted V twice; as much as the V postion. Not sure if you got the Stainless one or not??? You should get plenty of chance to use it there; as I lived just up the road from you in Willow for 23 years so am pretty used to snow??????
    I have never seen so many people interested in a plow; as they seam to be this SS V, on our 1/2 ton F150? And am not sure what it is; but everytime we park it in town; there is usually guys gawking at it; and wanting to ask me questions about how it performs on the half ton.
    Good luck with you new Fisher I would say you have made a quality purchase that will last for many years with proper use!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  6. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Great plow, fast and reliable. We run quite a few of various sizes and they are rugged and dependable. That being said, before we could get a small fisher v, I purchased a BOSS v-plow (the only one if our fleet) and it has been a great plow too. We just stuck with Fisher because of dealer convenience and interchangable items. Nice choice. As for the Ford, the ball joints arent going to be happy! That 9.5 is a lot of weight on the front end.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

ROTFLMAO!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Man you are killing me!!!!!

BTW - for those of you who don't know, I own an XV...........................

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

And how is that going for you? :eek:

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well I thought that would do it :p

Hey snowbegone,
    I dont know how we wil ever get to find out how the Ford ball joints are going to hold up to the weight of a V, when it is spending most of the winter SITTING ON THE GROUND waiting for something called SNOW !

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a start......

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=95111&highlight=xtreme

I does not include poor welds resulting in the moldboard almost coming off; numerous hydraulic failures, including hoses that mysteriously spring leaks without receiving any damage; I currently have all five hose fittings on the motor housing leaking. Two are "gushers". This is because the guy who installed my plow was too lazy or too stupid to assemble them properly. And this would be at Fisher's "flagship" dealer in the region. What else? How about a hose routing strategy that results in severed hydraulic hoses under certain conditions. Lift chains wearing or falling off. Cracks in the lift arm.

And some other stuff......

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Sounds more like a Toyota than a Rolls Royce Eh?

12. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

WTF are you plowing and what are you plowing with? That is crazy. We have quite a few on the road mounted to dually dumps to 1/2 ton pick ups and have not had many issues at all. Most of the problems have been from operators. I'm gonna put a good sniffin on em Monday and check the center pins. Why do you still have it?

13. EXTREMEV

EXTREMEV Junior Member

I asked the same thing. So unhappy with it go buy a boss........

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You do know rolls royce's are british pieces of sh*t right?

15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I think for the same reason he hangs around here: He's a glutten for punishment.

I'm fairly sure he'll be moving on after this year though. If not, we'll have to have bri talk some sense into him. :dizzy:

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not really, at least Toyota cares enough to at least make the attempt to fix their stuff.

Watch for the T-frame/coupler bolts too. They've been an issue since the inception of the XV (and MVP+). Once the bolts loosen they wear the holes out, then it's nearly impossible to keep them tight, thus mods are then needed.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was gonna say Ford, but maybe Yugo? Renault? MG? :laughing:

Plowing with a 97 K2500. Typical plowing weight is 9,000 lbs. Not real heavy.....

Still have it because I picked it up in November for my last warranty service.

When you are checking them over, put the blade straight, and lift the blade up. Grab the ends of the wings and try to move them up and done by hand. Betcha the drivers side is worse;)

I don't intend to plow with it next year. Backup only if I still have it.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's been my biggest beef with Fisher/DD. They refuse to admit there is a problem, and redesign it.

I have the T-frame to push frame bolts double nutted.

FWIW, there are a couple things I really like about the plow. I like the trip edge, and the steep cutting edge angle. I also like the SS mold boards. The controller is also pretty good IMO, but wish they had put an extra wing button. One in, one out. And offer a simpler controller that has six buttons or toggles. Two for up and down, two for each wing.

19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

So... tell us how you really feel....:laughing:.:laughing:

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I gotta agree...DD has really cheaped out on there plows...Look at a fisher plow from 10-15 years ago..Those things were built like tanks.I have a New XLS and i already see im gonna really look after this plow...The wear strips are gone after the first plow...The wing cutting edges are CHEAP.I will be lucky to get a season out of them..The welds are sub par......Love the Plow..Not gonna love the Bills....:help: