1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme V cutting edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PLM-1, Nov 16, 2007.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I have an 8.5' SS XV. Mine seemed to have the edge wear syndrome of only lasting 10 hrs. What edge is being put on these now? I bought the shoe/curb guard kit but the edge wouldn't come close to touching the ground so I took them off. Any ideas?

2. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I have to ask. Do you like the Xtreme V? I am leaning towards puchasing one, going from my straight X-Blade to it for more snow retention. I can't believe they didn't go with the 1/2 inch thick edge. My 8' has it. It really makes no sense. I wonder if the 9 1/2 edge would work on the 8 1/2' model bolt pattern wise except for the ends; which wouldn't match. I like my X-Blade and can't beleive they won't make some wings for it like the new wings on the X-V. Money hungry I guess. The dealer here has two of last years models at a savings. I'm not sure if changes other than the edge were made.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I REALLY like it except for the cutting edge wear. I think they actually fixed that but mine was one of the first ones. It seems to be a really tough plow, I beat on mine quite a bit last year.

4. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

I had the same problem with the curb gaurds. The fix is you need to install a cutting edge on your new plow. Your curb gaurds will work after that. Or take your guards off and reinstall them when you run your edge down and put a cutting edge on. This was case on my 9' xblade.

5. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am really unhappy with this cutting edge problem. I bought my XV in October of 2008. I love the plow but the edge dissapears in no time. It originally had a 3/8" edge. That barely lasted one year. It actually didn't as it started wearing down the bottom brackets for the trip springs. Anyway. I got a new set of cutting edges, $400 by the way! It was a 1/2" edge. Well after two storms it has worn down 1.25"! Thats crazy! The first storm was maybe 20hrs of plowing. The second was about 10hrs. So I am already halfway through this $400 set of edges. What the hell? Is the extra weight of this plow really the issue? I used to run 7.5' straight blades and would get at least two years out of those edges. And they were under $100. But to buy new edges every year or sooner, for $400 is rediculous. I have not been able to get any answers from my dealer or anyone else. Has anyone given Fisher some crap about this? Is there any solution? Seems to me Fisher may have done this on purpose as they must be making a killing on selling new cutting edges. I'm pissed. Anyone have any contact at Fisher to deal with this?
    Thanks

6. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Do you have the 2-piece edges or the 4-piece set? Your Fisher dealer should know about the updated edges by now. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=71337&highlight=edges,+extreme

7. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Both were/are the 4 piece design. The middle pieces were the same this time as the original. But the two flat pieces were 1/2" this time vs. 3/8". I think what I am going to do is weld on some 1/2" or even 5/8" to the back of the edge in two places on each edge. That will slow the wear down a bit and get more life out of the edges.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My first 3/8 edge went quick. About 8 or 10 storms. The 1/2 i replaced it with has lasted much better. Easily done 3 times the plowing with it, and a little life left. Would have been more, but the frontend guy lifted the left side alot more than the right. Didn't figure it out till the season was almost over.

I also learned (from this site) a trick late in the season this year. If I am plowing a place that I know I need to go over again, such as real heavy or mid storm, I pick the blade up so it is just barely hitting. The extra weight on the front tires gives you more control, and saves wear on the edge.

9. crash444

crash444 Member

Any updates to these edges? I ran the Extreme Vee for the last two winters and if I could I would send the plow back and go back too A cheap meyers. I go threw 3 to 4 sets of cutting edges a year and they are 5/8 thick. I had the plow adjusted on the truck so the edges hit the ground correctly and that didin't help. the new boss XT edges are awesome and last 4 times longer then these Fischer edges. the plow is 2 years old and I can't wait to next summer when I get my next new truck and I will be getting a Boss plow on that one..

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where are you getting 5/8" cutting edges for the XV?

11. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

you gues ever tried curb guards/extendor from winter equipment? i have a 8.5 MVP that i bought last year and it didnt wear at all with them and i plow long runs of concrete.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I heard the Fisher curb guards are a joke. Can I run the ones you are talking about with wings?

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think I was one of the first ones to b!tch directly to Fisher. I left tons of posts on here about the cutting edges. I was on the phone with the engineering dept. and got no where. My local dealer finally helped me out after a few explosive phone calls by replacing the pathetic 3/8" edge with a 1/2" edge and we added Myers curb guards giving the ends about an inch total on the thickness. So far that combination has proven to hold up fairly well. I got a season and a half out of the last set up and had to replace the 1/2" edge and new curb guards last year and so far is showing minimal wear. I didn't think guys were still having a problem after their new 4 piece design. BTW I didn't pay anywhere near 400 bucks for my new set (I believe around 250'ish). My next set is going to be a set of carbide's from Jerre. It might actually cost 400 bucks then but I'll get 2 or 3 times the wear if not more.

14. Brian Young

Everything Fisher makes as far as accessories for the Extreme V suck! I had the curb guards, the back drag edges....nothing fit and I took it all back!. The curb guards and back drag edges both left the cutting edge up about 1/2" and everything was brand new.

15. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

you cant run the curb guards but you can run the extendors i think

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Planning to put on the back drag edge when I replace my cutting edge this season. I'll have to see how it goes.

17. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

you need these ones if you have wings

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  18. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

you need these ones if you dont have wings

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  19. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

the one i tried to show you if you have wings wouldnt load but tis the same without the extended edge for curbs because it wont let the wing fit

20. Brian Young

I'm tell ya DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY! I have a proto-type set up on my Extreme V and if all goes well they will be in production very shortly, these are 1000 times better trust me!