1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme V concern

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Sep 20, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am looking at possibly getting an 8'6" Xtreme V this winter. I have never had a V plow but like the versatility. The main reason for getting it would be to bust through some of the major drifts we can get out here in Colorado. But I was looking at the pictures and specs for the plow and it does not look like it has much "V" to get through the snow. In the V position it is still 7'8" wide. In the V position it seems like it has to much "face" still and it wouldn't be enough angle to get through a solid drift. Those of you who have used it can you shed some light? A snow drift can be extremely thick/heavy even if it's only 2' deep and I don't want to spend an extra $1K on the plow only to find it can't get through what I need it to.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Trust me it plows through drifts like cutting warm butter! I had to do this 3 times last year and there is no way I could have done this with a straight blade. Mine "V's" to almost as narrow as my truck when in V position. One of the times it was a parking lot thats was small but still about 200ft by 40ft and solid heavy wet snow that sat for weeks with no plowing and I had zero problems.

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Big drifts sometimes take several bangs to get through, but the big thing is the truck will stay straight, and you can back out. If the blade lifts, don't go in so deep that you bury the blade, in a deep drift this could mean having to crawl out the window to start digging out:blush2:

Bill