1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme V angling pressure

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Apr 21, 2009.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Does anyone else have this problem? When I am using my XV in the straight position but angled to push snow to the side, it has very little power or pressure when I try to angle the blade in the other direction. It's got no balls. All the years I plowed with a straght blade it would take alot of snow for it not to angle back. But with this XV only a little bit of snow and I can't get the plow to move. It's real frustrating. The same is true for getting myself unstuck. With a straight blade you can use it's pressure to push yourself out of a snowbank. Not with the XV. It just doesn't have any power using it like that. It's been like that since day 1. Is that just the way they are? If it is that sucks.

2. yellowsnow09

yellowsnow09 Junior Member

You need to have a dealer adjust your relief valves,

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've pushed myself out a few times with the XV. Vee and [D], scoop and [R]. Once you get your hands working right, it's pretty quick.

4. BoulderBronco

Bringing this post back from the dead. I could take it to the dealer but I figured I should be able to check and adjust the psi myself. I have hydraulic fittings and gauges I just don't know the specifics of this particular pump. I've been searching the users manuals and all over the web but have not found out how and where any adjustment set screw might be at. Can anyone help me out with this info?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The lack of wing cylinder pushing power (over a straight blade) has to do with the hydraulic circuit layout and the double acting cylinders on the XV. If the pump relief is set at 2200 PSI then it's as good as it's gets and just the nature of the beast.

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Look on page 19 of this PDF,http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/27365.00_010107.pdf it walks you through setting the relief valve pressures. Make sure that you use the actual Fisher page number not the one that the Adobe page reader displays. Hope it helps.

7. BoulderBronco

There we go. Thats what I was looking for. Thanks. I will do the pump pressure test as a starting point.
    I'm not sure that the relief valve settings would solve the problem, however I should still check them. It doesn't have a problem folding back on itself if I'm trying to push a heavy load with the extended side of the blade, the blade stays extended (make sense?). The problem is if the blade is straight and I'm pushing a heavy load it has major trouble angling against the load. You know, your driving down a long stretch of windy road and you want to angle left at some points and right at others to push the snow off to either side of the road. It just doesn's have the power that a normal straight blade does. Or at least thats the way it seems.
    So. I could see the pump pressure having an effect but I don't see the relief settings doing much, even if they are not set properly.

8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

If it were a pump pressure issue it would be obvious in other actions too ie. lifting into a pile or lifting with snow stuck to the blade etc.. You haven't stated any issues with other functions like that so I would be inclined to think that the pump pressure isn't an issue.

You could have a bent or expanded spool that isn't opening as it should when that circut is activated. If you look for the SCAT test in that manual it will walk you though the steps on how to check the coils and spools too.

9. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

spoke to my buddy (owns a fisher dealer here in ny) and he said he has seen them get shipped with the pressure reliefe valve misadjusted. there is one on the rear at the top its a set screw flate blade and there is 2 more on the side. to get to em i think i gotta unbolt the pump from the head gear and take the cover off on the ricght side(looking from driver seat). i do not know of the psi tho. i used mine to scoop and push my way out and dump snow as i go and the only thing i noticed it if u have a lot of heavy snow one wing will come back faster than the other will go forward(commonsense more force pushing back i know).

10. BoulderBronco

Bringing this one back from the dead as I'm still having issues that just don't seem right. So I did a little pressure test. I disconnected the pressure hose from the ass end of the passenger ram and connected the hose to my hydraulic gauge. I left the ass end hydraulic connection open as I did not have a cap for it. With the plow in the straight position I angled the plow left (pushing the right wing out and left wing in) and read the pressure on the gauge. I'm going to hold off on saying what I got for pressure until I hear what you guys and the "pros" say about the pressure I should have there. So first off does anyone see any issues with the way I did this? Second, what pressure should I have there?
    Thanks.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The way you tested should be fine, but generally folks use the lift ram to avoid any mess.

I'm thinking the spec is 2,250 PSI but would have to double check the owners/installers manual

12. BoulderBronco

Thats what I was thinking (around 2000 psi). I was wondering if the pressure would be different in different areas of the system. But I guess with one pump the pressure would be the same no matter where it was tested. Right? If thats the case, and I should have a consistant pressure of around 2000psi everywhere, I have a problem. I only got 500psi during that test.
    But how is that possible? If I have 500 psi there that means I only have 500 through out the whole system. It seems to lift the blade just fine. I'm going to try to test the lift line pressure tonight.

13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

2200 psi is relief pressure for that plow... that's the pressure you'll see when the pump opens the relief valve, which doesn't happen until you hold the contoller on with the plow against the end of one of it's cylinder's travel. That's when you'll see relief pressure. The 500 psi is working pressure, and it's probably just about normal for running one wing.

14. BoulderBronco

Decided to just go out and test it. Got a solid 2000+psi at the lift ram. I guess the pressure release valves mentioned in the previous posts could still be a problem. So I guess I don't understand how one area can have 2000 and another only 500? It's all the same system. So are those pressure release valves actually capable of reducing the pressure?

15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Lift cylinder working pressure will likely be around 700-800 psi while raising the plow. If you want to check the relief pressure, hold the controller on even after the plow has fully lifted, and watch the gauge. Should be 2200 psi +/- 50 psi.

16. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I've noticed the same thing with my xtreme V that it doesn't have much wing power. It lifts/stacks snow great but, won't help push the truck out when it needs some help. My old 7 1/2' straight blade would push me out no problem.