1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XTreme V 9.5' or XLS?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CTerrySGD, Jan 18, 2011.

1. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Hi! In the market for a new plow. I have the option between an XTreme V 9.5' and and XLS.

The truck is a 2005 F350, 6000 lb front axle, crew cab, diesel, single rear wheel. I'd like to hear from people that may have owned both fisher plows.

We're doing 99% commercial plowing of parking lots 1 acre to 10 acres. Speed, efficiency and scraping capabilities are all important features as well as durability.

I'd love to hear from people that have an F350 and can comment on whether the width of these plows are too wide for the truck or not.

Thanks ahead of time!

Chris

2. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I have a 8'6" v on an 09 350 and two xls 08 250 and 2010 350.
    I love the xls we can still fit through a drive thru at the banks and open up to 10 to push I did a side by side comparison with the V and the xls. the xls holds more snow. The v is a good plow but I think the only benefit it might have over the xls is the ability to break through high snow banks at parking lot entrances with more ease.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have both plows. But I have an 8.5 SS EXV instead of the 9.5 you are looking at. I will tell you that the XLS will move more snow and you will get the lots done faster with the XLS. You can also put the blade in scoop and carry snow around corners and cars with ease. So if all you are doing is large lots then I would go with the XLS. But the EXV scrapes better IMO, you can also get the blade in stainless so you dont have to worry about the moldboard rusting. You can also get the wings for the 9.5 and the blade will be wider then the XLS. You can break through drifts with the EXV and you can stack a lot higher. They are both great plows and after running both of them this year I like using the XLS more, but I do mostly large open lots and only pull out the EXV when we get high winds here on the North Coast. Well I hope this helps. Good luck.

4. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Anyone with a 9.5V that can comment on the weight of the plow for an F350? The XLS is a similar weight and width. Any problems with the weight or being able to push a 9' to 10' plow?

Thanks!

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That truck will hold and push either plow just fine.

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

My 2500hd gasser can push both blades fine. The XLS weighs in over 1100 lbs with a cutting edge, deflector and the aftermarket wing edges I bought for it. my truck sits level with dump insert in rear and loaded with salt. Like said above you will have no problem pushing either one. Keep us updated and where are you purchasing it at?

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I would think the XLS would be the better plow for lot plowing......

8. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Bought the 9.5' V.... They are installing it as we speak!

Snow coming Friday morning so I hope all goes well!

Chose the V because after physically looking at both plows, I felt the V was little more robust, better at scraping ice and snow and comes with a bolt on cutting edge.... And as much as everyone says you won't use V much, I think that I will to break through drifts created by the town plows at entrances, blazing a new trail through a parking lot and pushing through piles that were made with straight blades to push them back further ect.... Either way scoop is a definate plus as I'm coming from a straight blade.

Also after comparing the difference between a 9.5 in V and the XLS, there wasn't an overwhelming edge to the XLS in scoop mode. If my choices were 8.5' V then its a different story.

I also saw that you can order the 6" wings for the 9.5' V and then you basically have an XLS if you want it and then can take them off if you don't.

Anyone have the wings?

Bought and installed at Earthborne Equipement in Warrington, PA.... Great folks.... They've been at it for many years and know what they're doing.

Chris

9. EXTREMEPLOW

EXTREMEPLOW Junior Member

fisher wings

I have the Fisher extreme v wings on a 9.5 the lift cylinder will struggle when in the scoop position. I only run the left wing it makes it more like a highway plow and I can then use about 8 feet of plow when making windrows without snow spilling off the one end It works for me it might not for others just my opinion.I also have a 3/4 inch cutting edge and i made my own snow deflector.

10. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Post up some pictures of your wings

11. EXTREMEPLOW

Fisher wings extreme v only mounted on a 9.5

random 029.jpg

12. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Looks great. Hows the F250 handle the plow?

13. EXTREMEPLOW

Truck is more than fine with the plow its the lift cylinder that hates its life. I have fought with fisher that it needs the cylinder for the 9 and 10' mc blade how dare they call it extreme without the 2 inch bore cylinder . And they claim that the hydraulic res is to small to support the volume needed for the 2 inch ram so i'm at a loss as to a solution

14. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

couldn't you adjust the pressure screw to allow the lift cylinder to raise faster.

15. skywalker

skywalker Member
    from NW PA

were running an 8.5 extreme v with wings on a 1996 chevy one ton dually with a 350 in her and in my professional plowing opinion (which is only 5 days due to my partner going to Jamiaca). i like the extreme v over our xls on a 2005 gmc 3500 6.0gas. just my two cents. ive run em both and the extreme v owns the xls

16. EXTREMEPLOW

Pump pressure is in spec per the dealer . Could be the added weight between a 1 inch cutting edge 14inch snow deflector 3 inch extended rubber on the wings and 1/2 x 3 flat bar stock bolted to the bottom of the snow deflector to keep the thing from flying up on the expressway . Plow weight is just about 1400 pounds . Im just saying that this is one of fishers flagship models and it should have the heavy head set and 2 inch ram . Just my 2 cents

17. EXTREMEPLOW

It lifts just fine in straight and in v positions it just wont lift in the scoop position , just to much for her. Still would not trade for any other plow .

18. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

If you turn the screw on the pump it will allow more hydraulic fluid to flow through the lines and the pump which will allow it to raise faster. But you do not want to turn the screw to much because it will blow the lines off or even break the pump itself.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  19. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I thought the screw was only for the speed that the plow drops.... Does it increase the speed of the other motions as well??

20. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Their are two screws one is the drop pressure and the other is the raise pressure.