1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xtreme V 5/8" cutting edge for $....

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Jan 25, 2010.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I'm not really sure how to go about this but here we go. I have the ability to manufacture cutting edges for the 8'6" XV (and possibly other plows) at a lower rate than Fisher takes us for. Plus I would build them from 5/8" thick material instead of 1/2". So I would have a longer lasting edge for a considerably cheaper price. But I would need to build them as a batch, meaning about 10 at a time. If I do this I can sell them to you guys for about $275 plus the ride. Not 100% sure on shipping but I will look into it if there is interest. I'm thinking I could ship to the east coast for about $75. If there is intereste let me know and maybe I can do them for the 9'6" as well. Although those would be a bit more.
    So. Should I offer this? Would there be interest? What would be the proper way to do this?

2. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i am in mass and would love a 5/8 cutting edge for a 9' xblade. if it was going to be the same as the one fisher makes with the highway punch in the middle.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I am sure if you could make them for the same or less (including shipping) with 5/8" steel then you would have most anyone interested. I'd buy one, but won't need one for a few years.

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Give me a few seasons and I might need one!!

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Will you make them a 2 piece design or a 4 piece like it comes stock?

6. BoulderBronco

A few seasons! You guys must not plow much. I'm lucky if I get one season out of mine. Thats why I've been looking into this.
    Plan right now is for a four piece design. But we will not have that extra piece that is welded to the two inner bent pieces. It's a worthless piece of metal if you ask me.

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

No, you're right I only plow 3 drives besides my own. Hardly a business for me. I just mentioned it in case you were going to keep a tally. Way too many variables on how long an edge lasts.........

8. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Are you talking about the piece i circled in white in the picture?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. BoulderBronco

:D
    Exactly.

10. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Cant you just make it one piece so I can put my curb guards on the end and wear guards in the middle?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If it's the same grade and hardness steel as the Fisher/Western blades, for less money, I agree it's a no brainer. I don't know how much of your cost is from producing the formed center pieces, but you might just want to do the straight sections. We can pickup up the formed pieces and bolt kit for under a hundred. As long as the long pieces were thicker, we would still get the extended lifespan.

As for that little welded strip, I agree there isn't much value. As long as everything is cut just right there would be just a tiny gap. In fact, the last time I replaced my cutting edge, I had to grind the straight pieces to clear the weld fillet.

12. BoulderBronco

I supose we could but I don't understand the benefit. Four pieces allows for easier and probably more adjustment. If I build these they are all going to be the same. Right now, again if I do it, they will be the four piece design.

Much of the cost is the metal itself and the time/ machinery that is required to punch the holes. So I think the cost of the two bent middle pieces is not an issue.

13. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Ok, I understand. Thanks for the info.

14. LON

LON Senior Member

What grade of material are you going to be using?

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Boulder, why stop at 5/8"? Would going to 3/4" cost much more?

16. BoulderBronco

We would use A36 carbon steel.

Probably not. But people seem to freak out about the extra weight. Going from 1/2" to 5/8" adds roughly 2.5lbs per foot of edge (assuming a 6" edge). So going from 1/2" to 3/4" adds about 5lbs per foot or 44lbs for the edge. I personaly don't think thats a big deal and would agree that a 3/4" edge would be even better. But again people seem to get all weird about the extra weight.

17. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I do quite a few driveways, but most are dirt. I was hoping to get this year and next out of my edge.

44 lbs isn't that bad...only 22 lbs more than 5/8.

18. LON

LON Senior Member

not to burst your bubble but A36 will not last at all. A36 is your standard mild steel. When Fisher used the 2pc blade design it was made out of 1030 so that they could bend the blade. As we all know these blades burned up quick even in 1/2". The carbon content in A36 is only .026%. The carbon content in 1030 is .027-.034%. The carbon content of 1084, which is what most all cutting edges are made of is .080-.093%. You can see the carbon content of steels here - http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=1702681fd5b2456e8e0c5932ba9b3f28
    I would hate to see you have blades made that aren't going to last any better the the original Fisher design and have guys wanting their money back.
    We at our shop once tried blades out of Astro-alloy, the same material used in the floors of Cat 100-ton rock trucks. This stuff was supposed to be indestructable. It was a $4000.00 mistake at the stuff didn't last 1 shift!

19. LON

LON Senior Member

I've had these since the X-blade came out. Had them made especially for my municipal customers who were using cental hydraulics for plow operation.

20. BoulderBronco

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest so I'm not sure I'm going to bother. I'll have to price out some high carbon steel and go from there.