1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XT V vs. Std V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mullis56, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What are your opinions worth the extra $$?? Does the XT trip as the standard does? I saw another thread where the guy said his XT didn't trip and he bent the frame.

2. A Man

A Man Senior Member

I have both, It does trip the same as the std. As for the extra money, that's a tough call, I do like it and it does actually plow better than a std. The key benefit in my opinion is that it tends to throw the snow further over the windrow allowing one to windrow in deeper snow. It also has holds a bit more snow in the scoop position, but let's face it, it mostly just looks cool. I have one on my 08 f350 and the last benefit is that it is easier to see being the new ford front ends sit so high. I like and I’ll likely buy a couple more next year

3. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I like my XT it was only$ 200 more then the regular V and like AMAN said they look cool and thats worth the 200 to me I thought and yes it does throw the snow alot farther then the regular V I think its worth the money

4. payton

payton Senior Member

if we get anymore snow we can switch blades for a couple hours if ya wanna try the xt. just let me know. ive given ya my thoughts on it. its a nice blade but for the snow weve had this year its over kill.

payton

5. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

yup bent push frame, plow didnt trip in scoop and put the truck in a dead stop. even when the plow does trip it puts the truck in a dead stop so you better be wearing a seat belt. next plow will be with a trip edge for sure!! most likely a fisher, alot less gentle on the truck and my body haha

6. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

yup had mine in scoop position as well, bent pushfram, V XT. talk about a quick stop, wow, makes me think the lot ever every time now.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a plane Boss V 7 1/2 and it trips when in the scoop position.
    When it trips (in any position) it doesn't trip enough to go over the obstacle, so it brings the truck to a FAST stop!! :eek:

8. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

You cant plow with it in the scoop and go like a bat out of hell across the lot and blame it on the plow

9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

x2 . if i was buying a new v it would definately be the XT. mostly because it looks bad azz but i think it would be awesome at throwing windrows further and would make breaking through in v easier.

10. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

who said anything about going like a bat out of hell?????

11. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

no one said anything about going bat out of hell,

they are just playing the role of being ingnorant, like 75% of human beings are.

ill believe you , because its happened to me.

also ive had 2 dealers tell me, that he has replaced many pushframes, you would think ethe part of the plow with the most stress would be built stronger.

only thing i hat about the xt, it seems like the valves release to easy on the wings when trying to stack snow.

12. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

xt vs reg v

ive got the 9'2" v xt ive only had it a few weeks and used it a dozen times. so i cant coment on reliability. But here are some pros.
    yes it throws the snow better than a reg v. you dont have to be going as fast to spray the snow over the windrow. also it does seem to carry more snow in scoop than a reg v. ( though the blade im comparing mine too is a8'6" with no snowflap up top like mine) And yes it is one mean looking plow!
    cons: as stated earlyer the wings do seem to fold back when stacking. ( thought about having the releif turned up a bit but hate to start bending parts or blowin hoses.) if you do bend a wing its probably more expensive to replace, but reg wings can bend just like a xt can.
    imo. if you do drift busting in residential drives where speed has to be kept to a minnimum and dont mind forkin over the extra cash, then the xt is a good choice.:waving:

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Those are hydraulic valves and they should be adjustable! If your blade is not tripping, the trip springs set too high (pressure required to trip). If the wings are dropping back too easy, then the pressure is set too low! Its called a Pressure Relief valve and dumps the fluid to the tank which absorbs the impact. It needs to be a balance of strong enough to hold the load yet weak enough to save the machine if it hits something.

This is set up by your dealer, its not the plow's fault or the manufacturers that the people who assembled the box of parts didn't set it up properly!

A properly set up Boss V-Plow will hit an obstacle, push back straight, and trip like a straight blade. Both of mine work properly still (a 1994 and a 1995 that have seen a lot of snow and are still working) so I don't understand the problem here! Adjust your valves and you won't have those problems!

Look in the manual.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Generally I agree with Derek here. Many of the bent/damaged Boss's could have been prevented by the assembler. I find many plows with the trip springs set waaay too tight. On most plows it's not a major problem if they're too tight but on a full MB trip Vee like a Boss, it can and will cause damage.

The plow needs to be allowed to trip when it needs to, even on a small object. If the springs are too tight it won't trip easily enough when an obstacle is struck.

Ever wonder why many guys that have damaged one usually say that they didn't even hit something very hard and it bent the plow some where? I've found it's largely due to it not being able to trip until you hit it hard enough to overcome the spring tension of the over tightened springs to allow it to trip.

A small object damaged it because it couldn't trip when it needed to, since the springs were/are too tight.

Now this isn't the exact same scenario as when you strike an object with the end of the wing/cutting edge, at about the last couple inches or so on the end. If you hit something there with the wing extended, it may try and shove the entire wing back toward the truck, and not roll the moldboard forward like it needs to in order to trip over the obstacle. That is a different scenario..

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Absolutely.

Trip springs, if anything, should be set too loose by the assembler, then the user can ramp them up as dictated by conditions until a good balance in found.

16. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'll take you up on your offer. I've got the standard V. Just go ahead and drop it off anytime. It shouldn't take you more than a day to get here. :D:D

17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I had an XT for about 3 weeks, and HATED it.

I traded a guy with a regular V straight up.

My problem was, with the way the wings fold over on the top, it always looked like it was slightly scooped, while angled.

With my accounts, I have fair amount of backdragging against sidewalks at an angle, so I was always trying to get the blade to line up remotely close to the edge of the sidewalk, or pull the snow back.

It just didn't work for me.

If 90% of your snow work is pushing forward, it probably won't be an issue.

FWIW, unless you're doing large box retailers, the extra "fling" of the snow isn't going to be noticable. And even at that, you're still putting the same amount of snow in a windrow, sooooo.... are you still not going to have the same windrow, only 2' wider now?? :dizzy:

It's all about the looks... even read the above posts.

18. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

I'm wondering about the snow 'fling'. When we get big storms with a lot of blowing, we have to go open up country driveways. Would the xt be a big advantage over a std. v? Right now we only have straight blades. How big of drifts can you bust through with a regular v versus an xt v? I see what you're saying Lwnmwrman about windrowing the same amount of snow, but on a driveway after a storm or two, the sides might be 3-4' tall in places where it blew in, and we just need a 10-15' path. Any comments to the above would be appreciated. Anyone ever buy a new plow at the end of the season? Thinking I might get a better deal now versus buying in the fall.

19. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I always do, except for this last fall, I had some money left over and wanted to get into the XT.

I understand what you say about the 3-4' snowbank, I've got the same thing.

I just run my regular V blade with the side that's towards the middle of the drive in the "V", and then the side of the blade against the "wall" straight across.

I can fling snow up and higher than the cab of my truck.

| |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | ___/ |
    | |
    | |

A crude drawing for sure, but that's what I do.

20. payton

payton Senior Member

im pretty sure mullis is sold on the xt....