1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mike33087, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

anyone get one yet.... let see some pics and your opinions
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to look at one this weekend. I can't wait to ask the salesman about how the trip feature works. I'm interested in hearing what happens when the wings hit a curb and can't trip. If I hit a curb with my 810, even way out at the edge of the wing, it will trip the whole blade. I don't see how Fisher has addressed that. Or even how the wings are going to take the stress when the center trips and the plow is just on the wing cutting edges.

I always preferred trip edge to full trip, if only because I started out with Fishers, and back then the only other plows around here were the flimsy little cheapo full trip style (I won't mention any names and start a war). When I bought my Blizzard the only thing I didn't care for was the full trip, but since I couldn't see any way around it, I figured it was a fair compromise. I have since found that my biggest fear, not being able to keep going once the blade trips, is not a problem anyway. I rarely trip my blade, and it has only happened at the end of a parking lot run when I get to a curb or frozen bank. I've plowed rough gravel lots with deep snow and never tripped it. My old Fisher would trip the edge and I could keep going on dirt, so I was afraid the full trip would trip in the same circumstances and I'd have to stop and hit it again. Doesn't happen. My Fishers used to trip way easier.

Anyway, I read on their website but couldnt find any mention of the non-trip wings and what they are suppsed to do to give way. I guess we'll see.
  3. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Grant it the XLS with the wings the way they are may not be the best design in the world, but i dont forsee catastrophic failure after hitting something like some guys are claiming. First of all the wings will NOT be riding on the ground when the main blade trips! Unlike a full trip blade that Folds DOWN when you trip it...Any fisher plow Ive ever seen trip RISES up in the air when the trip edge contacts something hard, that would pick the wings up to...up and over whatever it was that made the main blade trip. I cant wait till these things get a good year of testing by some pros so we can see what theyre really made of.
  4. Detroitdan

Excellent point. I hadnt thought about it that way. Good catch. Now I just have to worry about the wings. I am still pretty interested in it. Having always been a hardcore Fisher fan, until I crossed over to the Blizzard side, it seems like the best of both worlds. Now if they would only make it vee in the middle. What I'd call a "W" plow. ;>
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

jt13speed....i'm not bashing you at all, and agree with your theory except for when it is in scoop mode and the wings are out in front of the plow..... with that said,i would not hesitate to buy one of these plows however as they are from Fisher and i trust their company.
  6. DJSnowPlowing

DJSnowPlowing Junior Member

XLS Plow

hi just put mine on hold getting it this week going on a 06 f350 dump
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What I was told by the Fisher Engineers at Sima, was there design was better then the 810.
    They told me the u-edge on the wing would absorb the shock :dizzy: The u-edges have steel in them so they should bend up rather quickly, just like the 810 wing u-edges do. I dont see an issue with the plow trip edge causing problems, it will be the wings getting bent to snot that will be an issue. The wings are the weakest part of an 810. The wings on an XLS have no protection, if you hit an immovable object in scoop you will either bend a wing or cause damage to the frame. Something has to give guys. Personally I think Fisher rushed this design to production. I would bet there will be major changes in the works.
  8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

T man, unless they have a piece of tin in the middle of them there's no steel in the fisher or western version of the wings. Just finishing up an XLS and starting a Wideout install. J
  9. earl964

earl964 Member

I saw one of these at a Fisher Dealer in Dracut MA He has not had a chance to install one yet ,everything about the plow and the head gear look totaly different. I also would like to see these work for a year or two before getting one. I cant belive people are still buying those Homesteader plows.
  10. Detroitdan

I didn't see one last weekend, I thought they would have one at the county fair. But my buddy saw one at another fair, he said it looked like it was more flimsy, thinner metal and weaker. Figured they must have lightened it up so all these sissy new trucks can carry it. But on their website they claim to be made of heavier gauge metal and weigh more than the Blizzard.

As to the Homesteader, I called a locer Fisher Stealer, I mean dealer yesterday to price push plates for my Jeep. Afte being told I could bring a used MM1 to them and have it installed for only $1900, I asked about the Homesteader. $3600 installed. Holy cow! I can get a real plow for a fullsize truck for less than that most places. How can they sell a cheapy homeowner version for more than a commercial plow?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher is Blizzard, since they bought them out. The wing design has been proven great with the Blizzard, and on the new Fisher xls the bottom part of the wings are flexible poly material. So no need to worry about bending of any steel !?!
  12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Fisher did not buy out blizzard.......Douglas Dynamics has aquired ownership of all of them, the individual names have no ownership over each other
  13. Detroitdan

And this obviously happened because if they just outright copied the Blizzard design that they wanted so badly, they would have been sued. So if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

I was pretty excited at first, because I was always a diehard Fisher fan, hated Blizzards at first. Didn't believe the boxes would work right, get jammed with rocks or bend and stick. And I was always a trip edge guy. Plus I hated the idea of a white plow. But after seeing for myself what it can do I was sold. So a yellow Fisher trip edge power plow was my dream come true. However, I am not convinced yet. If they shake it down and make it utterly reliable I might buy one when and if my 99 Blizzard ever dies. Until then if I had to replace my plow it would be without doubt a new 810. Maybe an 8611lp even, If I could talk my truck into carrying it.
  14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No offense but the wings on the Blizzards and the XLS are different, there are pictures around and it's been discussed and IMO relying on some poly to bend instead of having a trip mechanism is asking for trouble....this is based on seeing both plows up close out at Jerre's shop and I've never used either of them but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night (there you go J, :D )
  15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Do you mean that piece of U-edge wont protect the wing ? Jeepers, I thought the lift chain would save the wings. Thats the best part, you can short chain it if breaks down.
  16. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Just wanted to let you guys know, I talked to a guy I know who has one of the XLS plows and he absolutely loves it. It's mounted on a F-350 powerstroke so theres no issues with not being able to move the snow. It's really neat seeing the plow in action first hand.
  17. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

the xls's are awsome my friends father work at fishers it a couple towns over from me but any who i went over when they hade a demo on the xls it was AWSOME!!!!! :redbounce
  18. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

we still want to see some pictures of the XLS on trucks. Where are the pictures?!?!
  19. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

XLS Here are some pics from Dec. I'll get some more this week sometime! tymusic

20. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

do you happen to have any there are from the front, maybe with no snow in front so we can get the full effect.