1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS Wings issue

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FordFisherman, Jun 5, 2015.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

My new to me XLS wings wont stay in scoop position, they slowly drift back to straight. Any ideas?

2. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

do u hear the motor activating when it goes back or it creaps back IF it creaps its a hydro issue 1st id chk the fluid in it if ur full a cartridge might have fluid leak by

3. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks
    They creep back slowly.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Check the base end relief valves for debris or damaged o-rings.

5. FordFisherman

from 06611

Wiil do
    Thanks

6. FordFisherman

from 06611

Tearing the whole plow down to get sandblasted and paint. Anyone know how to remove the end pins on the wings? Are they pressed in?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The pins that hold the wing to the "slide box" you mean?

8. FordFisherman

from 06611

Yes the slide box pins

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Remove the inner pins on rams and there is a bolt that needs to be removed and the entire wing assembly will slide out.

EDIT, unhook hoses.:rolleyes:

10. FordFisherman

from 06611

I have the wings removed with the slide box and piston still attached. I want to remove the outer pin where the wing hinges.

11. dieselss

yea there frozen in there. couple options. you can loosen the spring and do your best to remove the pin that holds the cylinder out. or you can can leave them in there and deal with the cylinder weight and awkwardness.

couple tools your gunna need.
    sawzall, or air saw and blades. if you go the sawzall route youll need to cut the blades in half length wise. they are to big to fit.
    air hammer...punch,,,,,long punch or "rod" thats smaller then the 1" pin but long, drill and smaller bits.

1) cut the pins at the top and bottom of the wing. this may take some time but its the easiest way without damaging anything. thats why i recommended cutting the blades, easier access.

2) try and air hammer or beat the pins out, quality penetrant is key! keep going from the top and bottom and keep spraying. even letting it sit for awhile helps,,,,you and the pins.

3) if this does not work, this is where I drill small holes in the tube to squirt penatrant in. i usually drill 2 to start with, on the outter face couple inches down from the top and bottom. you dont have to drill all the way through, just till you hit the pin, and you may have guessed,,,,air hammer.

4) torch..... second to last resort. heat the tube up. while your heating it, youll see rust dust burning out and air hammer when you can.

try all that and see if any of that helps.

12. dieselss

Bump.........

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No pics or video.... Post is worthless

14. FordFisherman

from 06611

Appreciate the reply, was looking for another idea in the other thread.
    Plow is getting sandblasted, will try to post pics later.

15. dieselss

Hope your getting the pins out before paint