1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xls wing

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mzgloves20, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

I have a new xls. Awesome plow. That said, second week of use, the right wing will only expand into scoop at about half the speed of the left wing. Retract is sketchy. Sometimes it stops and i have to do it again. There is no grinding or scraping. Using the right wing button makes it go a lil faster. Not the way it used to work. Also, the scoop and retract function buttons are reversed. Have been since i got it. You have to press the opposite button for the function you want. Fluid is good. Any ideas lol?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They failed on assembly. The wing ram hoses are reversed. Good way to damage the rams too. This is why DD throws so many exclamations out about not connecting them backward.

3. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Fisher advised to check the hoses. Any idea why the wing started going slow for no reason?

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Verify hose placement against your install instructions if you put it together, otherwise, bring it back to your dealer.

For the sake of quick reference, if you're looking at the back of the plow, look at the fittings on the cylinders for the wings, they're marked them A, B, C, D, going left to right. Now follow the hoses up to the side of the pump, you'll see that they labeled the hoses going into the pump in the same manner. Verify location. The XLS I bought last year didn't have this, but the one I just bought did, so depending on when you bought it......

On another note, once you get this fixed, keep an eye on your wear strips. They were doing better about applying them, but my latest one has been loosing them left and right... literally. A local buddy of mine has had the same problem. Once they pop off, your wings will self destruct in the way of paint loss due to rubbing. The dealers have been handing them out to warranty customers as it's a known issue. Simply clean with alcohol in a warm environment, then apply them using a heat gun & pressure. They seem to stay on after applying properly.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Seal failure? Contamination and blockage from previously mentioned? Low fluid? All in the realm of possibilities I would say...start with hose placement, if that's okay, I would head to the dealer and stop wasting your time on it. Did you assemble it?

6. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Thanks for all the great tips. The wear strip fell off with the first use. The plow was shipped to me. I just put fluid in, ran the wires and mounted.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

don't forget about the line restrictors. The wide outs had them, I'm assuming the XLS have them in the wing hoses. I would forget about those strips, its the nature of the beast for them to fall off.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

If the strips are put on the right way, they will stay on.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So you're stating that an owner can do a better job than the factory.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

That is correct.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And not just with the wing strips either.