1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS vs Wideout

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowingcanuck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. plowingcanuck

plowingcanuck Junior Member

I have a Boss V-plow, and I am thinking about adding either a Fisher XLS or a Western Wideout to my growing fleet. Could any Owners of the XLS this past Winter give me feedback on their experiences? Thanks in advance.

Take care

tymusic
    Go Canucks

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We have 1 Fisher XLS and 5 Xtreme V's both are great plows but the XLS is more productive.
    Marginal but its there....would be sweet to get a stainless XLS!

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

The XLS is a Very Productive Plow......The Stock Wing cutting edges Suck....Invest in some aftermarket edges from Jerres or Falline....

4. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Just go to the one and only chicago 11-12 under weather thread and look at a guy on there
    1olddog whom has been a loyal western guy until last season ,he has a wideout .But Not no more he's goin over to Boss for this comin season. Poor workmanship on his wideout as well as various other problems. Even though both ar DD the fisher XLS is better.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

agreed...i think i've said something like this before.

I've had no major problems with my wideout...I've seen plenty of posts about problems with xls's, blizzards's , etc etc?.....are you speaking from personal experience? BTW, I will be picking up another wideout next month. XLS, Wideout, Blizzard...all highly productive plows...dealer support is most important to me.

6. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I don't think the wideout broke from poor craftsmanship. I've seen his post from last year. he uses his plows to there max and then some. I'm a blizzard guy. I have a few pre-dd 810's. They are the most productive and versatile plow around. If I had to pick over XLS or wideout. I would choose fisher. Good luck on your quest.

7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I've been looking at both. The seem about the same. I like Fisher for the trip edge but Western blades are known to be lighter. The key is trying to figure out which is more important to me

8. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

I am partial to the XLS . People with a lot more knowledge than me always seem to prefer the XLS.

9. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i would go with xls, for the trip edge, and cause i like yellow better

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

loyal to western.......YES I WAS

Poor workmanship.... somewhat I blame

How they treated me after 3 months of use is what I have the major issue with

Have i plowed to the max and then some......hell yea

My issue was was the cutting edge mount bending backwards, all 6 gussets bend sideways , the welds broke and the cutting bend inwards. Western basically told me to screw off.

11. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

so how much you asking for that wideout then now that it is all broke to pieces?

12. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Well I'm sorry to hear that they told you to screw. I think they should have taken your plow and made some improvements to there plow. I have never had a problem with any of my blizzard with the cutting edges. There's are fully boxed in so they don't bend. I did shear the wing bolt off for the first time this past winter. I've had this plow since 03 and never had a prob like that. What did you up grade to?

13. 1olddogtwo

its all been repair by a different plow manufacturer......3000.00 buys whole package

14. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

hmm will that fit on the same mounts and wiring as a western mvp? a 2 or 3 year old mvp that is

15. DIRISHMAN

Sorry my freind didn't hear you due the fact he forgot his hearing aides:laughing::laughing: lmao

Whom fixed it HMMMMMMMM????? Does it begin with an A ????? Things that just make ya HMMMMM

16. 1olddogtwo

I don't think the wiring is the same, the MVP PLUS will work, it has the mutiplex wiring set up. the mounts are the same.

wideout.JPG

IMG_20110203_130543.jpg

100_0014.jpg

17. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

first off it is not for me, And I know what has been done to his plow, I have seen his threads off it being beat on and pushing big piles, I have also seen his thread off it being broken and how he had it repaired, the plow is fixed, it is not for me, the guy i know who is looking for a wideout is acctually a pretty good fabricator and has a shop of his own, so i am sure if anything else goes wrong with it he can easily fix it. :mechanic::mechanic:

oldman his plow is the newer multiplexed vee, same module and connectors as my xtremevee, and is the newer isolation module and what not

18. 1olddogtwo

And yes, Arctic repaired for me....

If I had it to do over, it would be the XLS.....The dream plow would be the utltamount with the XLS trip-edge and the blizzard wing tips....

19. 1olddogtwo

And yes, Arctic repaired it for me....

If I had it to do over, it would be the XLS.....The dream plow would be the utltamount with the XLS trip-edge and the blizzard wing tips....

20. DIRISHMAN

My Ideal plow Would be the fisherXLS in Stainlees Steel Thumbs Up