1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xls vs wideout vs 810pp

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowsniper1, Jul 24, 2009.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i run all boss vblade and want to add a wideout type of blade this year what do guys think?western,fisher,blizzard?i do almost all commercial plowing.

2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Fisher XLS because its a trip edge. Trip edges are much easier on the truck and the operator.

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I'm not a distributor for any of these companies;), and I havent personally used any of them except the wideout, which I have 1 of them.....but I will say that chances are the next plow I get would be another wideout......Dealer support was a big factor in my purchase.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dealer support is the most important factor. Each brand has features/drawbacks but at the end of the storm, they all clear snow.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I will be watching this thread closely. I am in the same boat and would love to hear some hands on replies.

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

A friend of mine swears by his wideout and wont ever go back to a v. Kinda like when he progressed from a straight to a v. I'll be having to make a similar decision this year too.

7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

do a search on here, this has been discussed like a milion times already ....... geez, lazy.

8. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

love my wideout

I to put a lot of thought into my decision last October to purchase the wideout. After running yellow M's for 15 years I chose the wideout for a couple reasons. One was the lights staying with the plow and then the easy hook-up. After using it last winter I really like the plow. But the main thing that made my mind up was my dealer support at Push and Pull here in Pittsburgh. Great Service and knowledge of what he is selling. Went back to him because a couple years ago when my yellow M went down at 5:00pm and it was snowing they stayed open to get me back up and running. Thet meant alot to me.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what your looking for. I have my dealers personal cell phone number.

10. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

last year for one night I traded trucks with a friend who wanted to try my wideout. He had a V. I found the difference between my wideout and the v was that the v stick out so much farther. It makes the length of the truck so much longer when in the V. I did find however that the V could carry alot. My only complaint with the wideout and I think this goes for the Xls also is the rubber edges on the wings. They do wear out. One thing I have never liked is how the blizzard head gear stays on the truck. The weight of the wideout back drags better then my old straight blade.

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'm glad you mentioned something about backdragging. Nobody really has yet. My new V does a great job backdragging too. But I can forsee a need for a Wideout in the future.

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

XLS-Chain lift and trip edge
    Wideout- Chain lift and trip blade
    810pp-Direct lift and trip blade
    All of them are owned by Douglas Dynamics.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The new Blizzard is a 8100 and the lights stay with the plow.

It is hard making a guess which one is right for me. I know with the Western I won't have to cut the front of the truck.

MSRP on the Fisher is almost $1000 more then the Western but you can get it for $100 more. The Fisher is also the heavest of the 3. Somehow the Blizzard is 30lbs less then it used to be. I wonder if the finish is any better?

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yes I agree. However everytime I read them its new people using them in new situations and also the plows continue to change from year to year. (hopefully only getting better) I am a Boss user 100% and have no plans on switching but I must say I too have thought that as the work permits, looking into a wideout style plow. I too look forward reading as this thread progresses. I wish Boss would make one!! xysport

15. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I would not hesitate to buy another wideout. Its heavy enough to backdrag (1000#) I've had 1 boss vee and I had too many problems that they wouldn't stand behind. a straight blade with wings would be cheaper, but then you need to take the wings off to get in the shop.

16. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Just bought a new XLS......LET IT SNOW!!!!!!!

17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What are you putting it on? I talked to a dealer and he said that a 3/4 ton can handle it, but you can't have it at 10' wide and expext to push alot of snow. He said that they work best with 1 tons.

18. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Notice that my XLS is on a 1 tonne dually! (hint!) ....they're heavy blades;)

DSCN2664.jpg

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know about Fords but I know that a Chev/GMC 2500 or 3500 have the exact same front ends.

How has your Fisher been Creativedesigns?

The Fisher is heavier then the Western.

20. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Goin'on it's 3rd year with the XLS! The plow held up great so far; no cracked welds, cylinders still work normal, basically nothin seized, so that means they are built with quality parts :) The polywings have little wear on the material, but in any case they can easily be fliped around to get a flush bottom.

CET, put one on ur dually! That'd be a great idear:cool: