Snow Plowing Forum banner

XLS stacking stops

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  CTerrySGD 
#1 ·
I was wondering if there was a reason the XLS had the stacking stop and other plow dont

#2 ·
ladder1;1203619 said:
I was wondering if there was a reason the XLS had the stacking stop and other plow dont
I have an EXV that came with them. I took off the long ones and put on the short ones that came with the plow. It stacks plenty high. In regards to the XLS it does a good job stacking and I see no reason to take them off. They are probably there to stop undue stress on some parts of the plow or having the chain smack against the pump and other areas of the plow. Do you have an XLS?

#3 ·
If you take them off, the A-frame and or chain will hit the pump. I just shortened my stops by 3" I think to get some more lift and cutting edge clearance. It got me another 5" of clearance from my cutting edge to the ground.

#4 ·
blmc5150;1205338 said:
If you take them off, the A-frame and or chain will hit the pump. I just shortened my stops by 3" I think to get some more lift and cutting edge clearance. It got me another 5" of clearance from my cutting edge to the ground.
Nice fleet of trucks you have there. :salute:

#6 ·
Burkartsplow;1205536 said:
Nice fleet of trucks you have there. :salute:
Thanks!

I was mistaken on my measurements of how much I took off. I only took an inch or two, don't remember, I just know I made them 3" long. And it gained me almost 5" more lift up front. As long as you don't go too far, there shouldn't be any downside to doing it. Just unbolt them and lift the blade up to the point where it still doesn't hit anything, take that measurement, cut em down, weld em up, bolt em back on. Thats what I did. Hope it helps.

#7 ·
blmc5150;1206056 said:
Thanks!

I was mistaken on my measurements of how much I took off. I only took an inch or two, don't remember, I just know I made them 3" long. And it gained me almost 5" more lift up front. As long as you don't go too far, there shouldn't be any downside to doing it. Just unbolt them and lift the blade up to the point where it still doesn't hit anything, take that measurement, cut em down, weld em up, bolt em back on. Thats what I did. Hope it helps.
Unbolt them? Mine are actually welded to my frame,,, I was considering cutting them off, and bolting on some shorter rubber bumpers.

G

#8 ·
glennemay;1206131 said:
Unbolt them? Mine are actually welded to my frame,,, I was considering cutting them off, and bolting on some shorter rubber bumpers.

G
Oh! Well my xls was bolted on. U could probly cut em off.

#10 ·
I gotcha. Yea bringing down to 8 is nice. Other than 1 Blizzard 810 we have, all the rest are 9's also. Not bad when you're out in the sticks, but when you're in town w/ cars everywhere, they can get a little tight! :)

#11 ·
I just cut my 9.5' ExtremeV stops down to 3.25" in the middle of the storm :) We pulled her in the shop and did some cutting and welding in about 30 mins and had her back out on the road. Gives me another inch or so clearance when in V with the plow lifted up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.