1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS Restoration

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MatthewG, Aug 26, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Picked up a complete XLS this week for $3500

The complete truck side is for sale for about $700, which puts me at $2800, not to bad

Not sure how far I want to take this project, but here are some pictures, pretty dirty and worked.

Paint is faded and it needs a few parts, in the last pics, it was washed and I took the remaining stickers off

I have a new sticker kit on the way.

Thumbs Up

DSCN1303.jpg

DSCN1304.jpg

DSCN1305.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1309.jpg

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Not a bad find and not a bad price either. It looks like it has been used but not abused.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Sorry - I am confused, you spent $3500 on it and now you need to do more to it? Or it is perfectly fine at that price? What kind of restoration?

I worry with used that the pump or motor will go fast and then you might as well have bought new. I can get a new 8611lp for around $5600 I think, so that always crosses my mind with used.

4. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Loooks nic, hopefully we all get to use our plows more this winter

5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Good luck. We run two of them and have had good luck. We picked two up for 3500 a piece mint with truckside's.

I had actually contemplated offering you a trade because I wanted a stainless xv. But figured then I wouldn't match haha.

6. MatthewG

I just sold the truck side for $700 - so for plow side only I spent $2800, I think that is pretty reasonable for a plow like this.

It doesn't need much, fluid change, new teflon wear strip for the wing, rubber O ring that goes around the pump cover, stickers are free from Fisher, and throw on some new wing edges.

The pump is strong, it was used on driveways for 2 years, just got faded from sitting outside, it is nice and straight otherwise

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Looks good!

8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good. My next plow will be an XLS.

9. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

How did you get thw stickers free from Fisher? I had to buy my stickers.

10. MatthewG

Asked nicely on facebook - millions of people on there - hard to say no or give poor customer service, makes them look bad

11. MatthewG

Got the sticker kit yesterday, fast and free

photo.jpg

12. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

looks like a nice xls!

13. MatthewG

Still have not had a chance to work on this, but soon enough. I sold my SSXV last night so this can now come in the garage.

I picked up $450 worth of parts today including new Urethane not rubber edges, deflector, bolts, o ring, wear strips....

photo(4).jpg

14. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

good deal post some pis when u get ur stuff on it

15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The edges that are on there look to be in great shape. You can feel free to send them my way and I will recycle them for you!! :mechanic: :drinkup:

16. MatthewG

I finally got a free day to work on this thing.

As you can see I removed the cutting edge which will be saved and removed the rubber wing edges which will be junked.

I took a lot of pics of the wing assembly as Im sure many of you are curious how they look inside, one simple pin is all that keeps them in place.

What a pain it was to get all the hydraulic fluid drained out, dad and I were wearing most of it till we had it all out.

Last some pressure washing, drilled holes for the snow flap, primer, and finally got it painted.

photo(10).jpg

photo(11).jpg

photo(12).jpg

photo(13).jpg

photo(14).jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  17. MatthewG

Hopefully I get it finished this week, I have a wedding to go to next weekend, which leaves no time for fun stuff like this

In the background you will see my transfer tank, that my Dad finally fixed, the filler tub fell off the pump and was rolling around the bottom of the tank in the fuel, thank god he has patience, I was just gonna junk it

:mechanic:

photo(15).jpg

photo(16).jpg

18. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

looks good so far

19. MatthewG

Forgot these last few, might as well post them

photo(17).jpg

photo(19).jpg

photo(20).jpg