1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS raising very slow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by SnowOps, Apr 3, 2016.

1. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

this is my 3rd season with the XLS. at the end of last season, burned a solenoid out trying to raise the plow. This season, plow was slow all year, burned out another solenoid. 2nd time in the shop they replaced the pump. all was great, but now, its rising slow again. Today while pushing just a few inches I couldn't stack at all. all other functions of the plow work fine, fluid is good, all hoses are good. It is def not the way it is supposed to be. Dealer also suggested maybe the voltage was low on my truck no way. this was happening on a 2500 Hemi 6.4L I was upgrading to a diesel so I wanted to see, since that has more juice, and today, I had the same issue. Seems to get slower the longer I plow with it also. Anyone else have this problem or know a solution for it? I'm thinking of trying a different dealer too since they really have not fixed it, the new pump was great for a few weeks, but what ever the problem is, its back...

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You need to put a pressure gauge on, see what ya got. Put a amp gauge on, see what she's drawing under load. That's where I would start.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

When was the last time the can was drop and the intake filter cleaned or replaced?

The most power and pressure need is to lift the plow, it staving for fluid if the filter is jacked.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Amp gauge the motor while lifting. What's the voltage while lifting? Use a meter, factory gauges are inaccurate.

How's the electrical connectors?

5. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

all the electrical connections are good. tis going back to the shop on Thursday for them to try again to see what the issue is and contact fisher. the pump was already replaced last month, and the power wire harness is new as well. Reading through the XLS mechanics manual, it stated it should take 2 seconds for my plow to rise up, it takes 4.....and if I am trying to stack any kind of snow at all, even really light stuff, it hesitates or wont go at all until I start backup up, away from the pile. No I have had that happen over the years with long pushes and heavy wet snow, but not a short push of about half inch of snow....

6. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

Filter and fluid were just changed at the beginning of the season, and again when the pump was replaced last month

7. dieselss

You keep saying pump.....We are asking about the motor

8. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

sorry for the delay, was the end of the season last year. So back to this problem, no, I have not looked at the motor yet, what should it be drawing while lifting?
    Also, someone mentioned the filter , I was not aware that this model had a filter....if so, where is it? I did a search fore the filter and could not find a part number, I did find some filters, but it was for the HD series plows.

9. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

ok, just looked at me service records, and the pump and motor were replaced in January, so any ideas out there??

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Don't have an answer, but this links shows the various Fisher parts, so it might help you find the filter on your model

http://parts.fisherplows.com/

11. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Just because a part has been replaced doesn't mean it can't be bad or installed incorrectly. With out doing any testing all we will be doing is guessing and you will just be throwing parts at it. So do a pressure test, amp test on motor. But if you choose to keep throwing parts at it you could try a solenoid. Contacts in solenoid may be causing resistance.

12. dieselss

Kimber.....didn't you say that Fisher changed the lift cylinder size? Could this be a possibility?

13. kimber750

Yes they went from 1.5"to 1.75" but this is a upgrade for XLS. XV2 is only one I know of that comes from Fisher with 1.75" lift ram.

14. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

I actually didn't intend to throw parts at it LOL those are the parts the dealer replaced, saying it was the problem. I actually have it going to another dealer next week, so they can pressure test it and go from there. I don't have the necessary parts to do the pressure test, im currently looking online now to purchase the fisher pressure test kit....
    Also thinking about getting a new XV2 and moving the XLS to spare status...it currently is the oldest one in our fleet...

15. kimber750

What type of accounts do you plow? Hard to beat a XLS in large open lots.

16. SnowOps

SnowOps Junior Member

We do all commercial. Small business mainly. No driveways. I agree I love the XLS when its working just these the other 4 XV2 never have any issues. and the 9.5xv2 has a larger angled clearing path. Figured id try something different still gonna keep the XLS though. Just as a backup at this point. Unless I can get it working right

17. kimber750

Unless the XV2 has wings on it the XLS is wider at full angle. 9' to 8' 6", this is of course with wings extended on XLS.

18. Ironwood-Mn

Ironwood-Mn Senior Member

I just bought a second XLS to go along with the one I bought last year. Both brand new. Totally different response times when lifting. I thought there is a valve on the pump that can be turned to increase/decrease timing?

19. kimber750

Not sure what you mean by timing. You can adjust pressure, quill and reliefs on these pumps but unless you have a gauge I don't suggest messing with anything but the quill.