1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xls question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dpglandscapes, Dec 20, 2010.

1. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

hey, today we got a storm only 3 in but i plowed and for some reason my fish stick, would completely shut off, like i couldnt raise or angle or even lower the plow. I went out and checked the electric connections and undid them and put it back together and sometimes it would turn the stick back on and sometimes it wouldn't. I didnt know if any of you guys have had this problem before or could help me. I dont know if i have to much dielectric grease on it or what. Thanks
  2. Did u check the fish stick connection
  3. dpglandscapes

from 01982

yeah i did, its not that its gotta be something to do whith the electric conection from truck to plow
  4. scout279

scout279 Junior Member

last year I had an issue with a lose wire conection in the fuse box. Plow controler would randomly cut out. Just a thought to check.
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Check where the Fishstick wiring hooks into the Fuse box.....
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Agree with the above posters.

Check your fuse box for a loose connection.
  7. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Same thing happens to my western controller from time to time. Its wired into a fuse in the fusebox..wasn't happy about that when I seen that last yr when I had my blade put on.
    Needs a better source..cant just hard wire it to the battery thou..get it wired so it is only powered when the ignition is on...that way you don't risk killing your battery if left on or starting a fire if there is a short.

Going to do mine this week when I do my back drag edge.
  8. dpglandscapes

from 01982

thanks alot guys for all the help, it just happened to me again with the plow stuck down, and i had my buddy watch to see if the controler work when i pushed on the conections on the isolation modual. it worked but when i went to raise the blade the power button would flash a constant pattern. but it only does this if i have the stick in my hand, when i put it on its clip on the dash the controler works fine...
  9. Is the clip grounded like a radio mic because u may have a bad ground
  10. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with snowman, sounds like a bad ground some place to me....
  11. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

off topic but is you lift a leveling kit or by 2in sus. do you mean in the rear.....
  12. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

You should do a search in the fisher section for more help. But anyway I had a simmilar problem with one of ours. The plow would either work fine or the power indicator light would blink on and off. I was told that when the light is blinking the remote is not communicating with the plow. I had to replace the module on the plow $166.00
    I had another xls (extreme v will also work) so i was able to switch plows to trouble shoot the problem. I was able to rule out the truck side, I knew the problem was in the plow so I switched out the module to make sure that was the problem before I replaced it.
    another guy suggested it could be the pins in the plug, you sometimes can open the tips up with a small screwdriver to make a better connection.
    Good luck
  13. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i had a customer with a similar problem. his ended up being a bad controller
  14. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

check your quick connect ground cables coming off the solenoid. Mine were Hooked up by loose, u plow would cut in and out randomly
  15. contrct2754

contrct2754 Junior Member

had the same problem it was the controller