1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by orenlasko, Feb 7, 2011.

1. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Three weeks in, a couple of storms later, and I have mixed feelings for this blade. If it weren't so damn productive I probably would look to sell it. My biggest beef was the blade chatter from the rubber edges which didnt seem to wear down at all after three weeks and several big storms, even though to the naked eye the rubber looked quite worn. Secondly i found that this blade left so much behind, and this does not make me happy. So I took it in today and they adjusted the attack angle which seems to have solved the chatter, but it still seems to clear poorly, I need the crossovers adjusted because the wings cant seem to hold even the smallest loads - today at the shop I could kick the wing back with my boot...

And now you see that the passenger side wing is worn badly and worst of all, I have a bent pin on the same side. This is really bad. And before you all go off and say i hit something, I know. However I havent actually hit anything. I am aware of potential trip hazards on all of my properties and actually slowed to a crawl with the new blade as I have always plowed with a v and this was new to me. 4 years with a mvp plus no bent pins, same properties, and three weeks with the XLS and i have a bent pin. I am not impressed. I already took pictures and sent it off to FIsher because My dealer said thats just the way it is.

Pics are enclosed. your comments are kindly welcome.

OML_9218.jpeg

OML_9216.jpeg

OML_9215.jpeg

OML_9214.jpeg

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

thats funny. :laughing:

and i hope you never use that dealer again. :realmad:

and all the bad bent pins/broken welds/super fast wear on trip edges. i am NOT going to buy a new blade for a long time.

my 8ft and 9ft speedcasters have orignal pins and no broken welds and are prob 20 years old if i had to guess. just need reskin from crappy storage before i got them. and fresh paint.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm surprised to see that you didn't go with a cutting edge. Then again, mine is level with my base edge at this point.

Those poly edges have barely worn.....and you should be glad about that. At the tune of $280 something, they'll wear quick enough unfortunately.

I don't know what to think about the pin, it screams hard hit as you said, but then again, I've seen some things that say the same thing....but I know for a fact that it isn't.

CYOA, and find another dealer. Any fing moron that tells you that, should be immediately punched in the head....repeatedly! It infuriates me to hear some jerk off spit off at the mouth when they don't have a dime invested. ......"Yes, I'll swallow your corporate BS and take seconds"....I think not.

I also had chatter from the right wing....it eventually corrected itself and I never had an issue with it again. I kept a very close eye on all the components involved to make sure it wasn't a sign of trouble....it wasn't.

Best of luck.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

Is that a crack that I see in the picture with the pin? Is that actually bent (flange)?

5. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

No crack. Bent yes

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

as for the chatter.....Mine chatterd like crazy....I talked to a Fisher tech and He Said to Make sure the A-Frame is Level as Possible...Which after an Adjustment it was...No more chatter.....In my opinion i would put a cutting edge on it and level it up....As for wing cutting edges....They look good for the Moment....But when it comes time to change them...Falline Edges are about $180 shipped and a Lot better than Stock

7. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

Update:

Both wing edges are being replaced and the main blade is having a cutting edge installed. The tech spent almost two days tearing down the plow to fix the pressure on the wings. He said it appears to be fixed. I'll have to wait and plow with it and let you all know. Regarding the bent pin, the tech from fisher said that is unheard of in the three years the plow is on the market. He also said it was highly unusual to be bent so early in after 3 pushes. I hope they will fix it. I am getting a little tired of this, 4 days in the shop on a new blade is just a little much.

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Call up Jerres Snow Plow Service in Erie PA and get a set of his polar edge wings. I have a set and have ran them all winter long and I dont have any wear on the edges. They are pricey, but I guarantee you are going to keep burning through those oem wing edges. One guy went through 4 sets in one season on his wideout.(same edges). Im sure they will fix all of your issues. Good Luck.

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Ironically there was a guy behind me today at Dunkin Donuts (the drive through) with an XLS on his truck. It was definitely a well used unit (faded/nicks/scratches) and I noticed on the front moldboard where the slide boxes are located, had a crack forming on both the top and bottom of each box. They were rusted a little on the crack as well. I'll get a picture and use Paint to show you what I mean. Definitely concerned me a bit.

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

here take a peak

xls.jpg

11. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

My issue is as follows. We all know that the factory rubber edges are there for a reason- protect the wings. If I have harder wing edges isn't this going to have a higher load toll on the wings themselves? And aren't Jerres edges which wrap around not going to give because of their design?

Just thoughts...

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

I won't buy them for a few reasons. One they're ridiculously priced. Two, I'm afraid if I damage the wings while under Warranty, it will void any coverage for the exact reasons you've listed. Third....is better off left un said.

I'll see what Aaron's thoughts are during next season's run....I might consider them then.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  13. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

$600 Bucks is a Little Tough to Stomach...The Falline Edges i will Get Atleast 2 Years out of them...And for under a $180 shipped.....But, On the flip side aaron seems really Happy with the Edges....

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I will keep you guys updated for sure with an end of season picture of before and after pictures of the wings edges and how much wear they have received and how many events they went through. But the poly ones also dont have much give I would think also and you can run into the same problems as well listed above. I wish they made the slide boxes more like the Blizzard 810, with the steel wing edges. Those things are built a lot bigger and stronger IMO then the wideout and xls. But I like the trip edge design of the fisher and there would be no give if I hit something with a steel wing edge on my plow. Now why they didnt build the slide boxes stronger is the million dollar ? I also always check the plow over before, during and after a snow event to make sure I did not bust anything up, because we all know something is going to break no matter how new it is at some point.

15. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

I just got an XLS this year. So far I'm happy w/ it. My edges are worn just like yours, but mine I attribute to some Pvt. Roads I plow which have the asphalt sloped "curb" along them wearing my edges weird and just like any other plow coming in/out of approaches w/ the blade angled. It chattered the first couple times out also, but seemed to stop once the "poly/rubber" wore in a bit. IMO I wouldn't double up w/ a cutting edge in the middle. Last year we bought our first Fisher, a 9' straight and put a cutting edge on it. My brother who's truck it was on finally took the edge off this year b/c it never scraped clean (having a 1" wide edge basically it never grabbed). Once he took that off he noticed a HUGE difference in how well it scraped. So for now I'm running the stock "moldboard cutting edge" till it wears down and it needs new all the way across. Just my 2 cents. Have a good one, Good Luck.