1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xls or xv2 and what should i pay?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by TPCLandscaping, Feb 15, 2014.

1. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

I'm running a 9' straight blade (w/wings) on my 2011 Ram 3500 crew cab with dump bed…I've been having issues with this blade since i bought it used and have just been throwing parts at it. Also just found some cracks on the head gear that are gonna need some welding…just one headache after another and i need something more reliable and efficient!
    Im swaying towards the XLS but just wanted to see some opinions… i have 7 commercial lots..one is a little tight with the 9' blade so i think being able to shrink it down would help. Other 6 lots are decent sized lots, each takes me about 35 to 45 minutes depend on snow depth and they all are triggered at 3" so I'm not having to go in after a 1' dumping when there are big wind rows from the plows at the drive entrances. I have 2 other long driveways, and about 10 - 12 residential.
    The XV2, well, looks cool, and scooping would work for getting into some tight places, but i haven't found any other things to sway me towards it… pricing is only about $200 difference.

Oh and i do have a second plow truck with an 8' straight blade that i normally use as my main truck…but its missing a transmission right now and I'm finding in storms that 2 trucks is a necessity. I had to sub to one of my guys with his plow truck in order to efficiently take care of the last storm.

Oh my dealer's retail is 6300 for the XV2 and 6100 for the XLS (installed).. i can re-use my headlight harness and my mounts but need new fish-stik and power/control wiring.

Does anyone know what markup is from a dealer to what their cost is? I'm going to do the install myself

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Aside from the cool looks (which I agree,lol) I would buy the XLS. Im kind of sorry I bought another V blade. Not that the Xtreme V's are a bad plow, we've had next to zero issues with them but even with their way over priced wings I always wanted more width. Going 8ft-10ft comes in handy, with the v blades your stuck with what it is. Now if these bigger lots are longer pushes the new taller side on the XV2 might come in handy too. But if your plowing them every 2-4" then a xls would be my choice.

3. TPCLandscaping

another question is ability to back drag? i have 2 lots with loading docks that i need to back drag…and well my two straight blade fishers suck!

4. Brian Young

Its weird, our v's are terrible on some lots and work great on others. If you want a back drag edge for the v forget about it, no one makes them but Fisher and they aren't all that great. I would imagine you should be able to find one for a XLS without a problem and I think the xls is heavier to begin with.

5. TPCLandscaping

what are people picking these plows up for not installed?

6. Brian Young

IDK, I dont know anyone who does it themselves. Our Fisher dealer is right around 6k for the plow and install. He told me one time they only make about 3-400.00 for the install, to me its not worth my time. Not that they seem to be that hard to do but Im usually doing fall clean ups the time of year they start selling them.

7. TPCLandscaping

got a decent price of $5546 for the XLS from my local dealer

8. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

9. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

i picked up my xls used for 4000 dallors one year old and i love it makes plowing driveways and lots so much easier

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

im in between to on the plows.... I do both res and com. after plowing along the building and then in front of cars leaving a strip of snow in center the scoop of a v is the answer how does the xls do in this senerio?

11. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I was debating between the two. My final decision was with the xv2 only because we do residential as well as commercial and when we are done with the commercial we do the residential. In some of the big storms last year we needed the v's to get through the snow. I love the xv2 but can't speak for the xls. I can imagine it would be more productive in wide open areas. I don't think you can lose here though

12. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

that's what im leaning towards.. just for the scooping action to gain time.....

13. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

i do resi and commercials, plow everything with the storm but still have some steep drives that need to get v up. i went with the xv with wouldn't look back. to my xls is only useful in a lot. yes 10' wide drives would be nice and i know someone who uses it for drives but he has to keep up withe storm otherwise trying to slide 10' of a lot of snow to one side does get difficult. id do xv if you do a mix and xls for only lots. but that's my opinion.

14. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

It's a 8ft plow too!

15. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I've used both and each has their own plus and minus. Generally I say XLS for lots or XV2 for resi.

XLS - great for plowing with storm, ability to move large amts of snow across a lot but blade height could be higher. Need a deflector for sure. Can use with one side extended to make a shelf if its not too heavy or hard stuff. Can angle while carrying snow.

XV2 - can open up after storm or good for steep hills. Can go smaller to fit between cars etc. Throws snow better so less pileup next to d-ways etc. Taller edges may cause overheating concerns. Stacks a little higher than the XLS.

OEM 3/8" edge on 8.5' XV is a joke, yiu need poly etc edge for XLS wings or they go like butter. I don't think either one back drags the greatest but depends on the type of snow.

I prefer the XV2 because I only have 1 lot and it doesn't require a lot of carrying.

16. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Im on the late side but what did you buy ??