1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xls or ss xtreame v 8.6 or ss xv2 8.6

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cutshortlandscaping, Feb 12, 2015.

1. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping Senior Member

hey all I know theres threads about his already but I can't find the info I need. So I have a chevy silverado 2500hd in the spring I'm going to buy ether a fisher els or ss extreme v 8.6 or ss xv2 8.6 the price and weight is not a problem. i do mostly drive ways i have wide open drive ways long short stairt twisty hilly flat etc. i do a gas satiation and some small lots i want to get into more lots. I also plow with the storm.

questions
    1 People i know say the xls is a nightmare and if you do so much as dent the wings they don't go back in. and that they are terrible on drive ways. So I was essantully told not to get it and just get a vee.

2 what is the big deal with the xv2 what makes it soo much better than the extreme v

I have never used ether Ive been plowing for years but only have used strait blades

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I have a 9'6 extreme V and XLS. Honestly, size matters...driveways at 10ft FTW!

3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I got my XV2 on my 15' 2500hd back in December and I have to say that, yes it is a beast of a plow and I constantly have other guys stopping to check it out but it was totally worth it. I have to clear my grandmother's driveway at the end of a dead end street but I can't get to it until after the town plows and they always leave a huge mound in front of her drive since their is no where else to put it. The XV2 goes right through the biggest pile they have left so far and with the 70" we got in the last 30 days we have had some big piles. Also the extra height on the tips keep more snow in front of the truck when in scoop.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If you are currently using a straight blade a d can get all your driveways done you should still be able to do it with an xls. You don't have to put the wings out to open up the drives if the snow is real deep.

Never had a V plow but love my wideout.

5. cutshortlandscaping

have you had any problems with hitting things or your wings jamming

6. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

I do a lot of stuff in the fields and in the woods, trails etc. I like my Xv2. Some days the light stuff blowing off a field will fill in between two 4' tall banks, and no amount of straight blade is going to make that go anywhere. Vee it and cut through it, then wing it back with the monster flared blade. I'm running an 8.6 XV2, I've debated if I should have gone with a 9.6, but sometimes it would have screwed me.

I imagine an 8.6 XV2 with wings would be a versatile machine. Open any banks up you need, and you get a width close to an XLS for lots and wide drives.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Well I wouldn't buy an xls if most of your accounts are driveways. In that application you'll want a vee plow more often than not. I honestly can't see what the big deal is with the XV2 other than extra weight. Maybe someone who has one can chime in on what makes it better than the XV1. Personally I'd rather have the ability to break in somewhere than have the ability to scoop or windrow. Also, a vee plow can go straight but an xls can't vee

8. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

The xv2 is basically the same plow as a xv1 they just fixed all the problems.

9. gtmustang00

from Berlin

The only problems my xv1 has is can't keep the t-frame to push frame bolts tight. Looks to be the same design as xv2 aside from carriage bolts.

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

And they come loose too. Ask me how I know that.

11. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I added a 2nd nut to the short bolt, we'll see how that works. If it doesn't I'll get a longer bolt with new nuts, if that doesn't time to weld the frames together... my XLS has been great!

12. cutshortlandscaping

Have you used the cold on drive ways at all

13. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I have used them all on driveways. What I love about the xls is if it's not a straight push you can still angle the blade in full scoop.

14. cutshortlandscaping

Where's the best place to get them from I think I'm going to Donovan in southern NH if you know of any one better or cheaper please share

15. gtmustang00

from Berlin

That's the dealer that is closest to me. Great guys at Donovans. Langs in Rye NH may be a tad cheaper. Not sure.

16. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I got my XV2 from ACT Equipment in Westfield, MA right off exit 3 on I-90, they were $700 cheaper than anyone near Boston. Well worth the 90 minute drive for me.

17. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I bought my wideout used and this is the second season with it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. One wing wouldn't go out but I think it was froze. As soon as I dropped the blade it ce out only happened once. I would never go back to a straight blade. I will admit that if I plowed rural driveways I think a v would be the way to go. A few times last year plowing my driveway I had to work at it to open it up. I plow in the metro area so drifting isn't an issue on my route.

18. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

i'd go with the v i switched one of my trucks from a mm1 straight blade to a xv and picked up a brand new xv2 setup for my newest truck and the weight difference with both of them being stainless steel and both being 8.6 is only 56lbs so not a whole lot of weight difference, but the flared wings are nice for throwing the snow further especially going up long winding driveways like i have or down long winding driveways, and scoop mode is even nicer with the bigger flare. so much nicer i may even sell my xv1 and pick up another xv2 at the end of summer... I also wish i went with a 9.6 and i was going to except my dealer was all sold out of them because i waited too long to pick up my plow, so it would have been an extra 300 to get the plow because they would have had to get it shipped down from fisher on its own.

19. RWS81

RWS81 Junior Member

Bought 8'6" xv1 saves time and great for stacking snow. Will be switching my other two trucks to XV2's before next season. Also getting sick of pull starting my spreader looking at Poly Electric for next spreader...

20. cutshortlandscaping

does anyone have both v and xls